Security Installer Community

Cctv Trouble, Very Confused

bm_99

Hey people, got a few issue's on a cctv system

Basically on site is a 16-way dm bx2, with 2 internal vista pd's, 10 older vista internal domes, 4 newer internal domes (vfd4v9)

Only the newer internal domes have been added by me, everything else is as before locations and all

2 of the newer cams are direct swaps from the older ones, the other 2 new cams are in new locations with power being shared with other cams

PSU's on site are dantech ones - 4 x 1amp, and the new domes are 150m/a per cam, old domes are 100m/a per cam

Everything was working then got the call, 6 cams were not working, 3 older ones on same power, 3 newer ones on same power, checked fuses fine and when removing and adding the powers the voltage on the psu drops to 5-8v d/c, with none of those power wires connected voltage goes up to 11.9-12.2v d/c

Even on the newer cams the power cosumption should be 150x3 = 450m/a

no shorts on the wires either, but when i added another seperate stand alone, 12v d/c 5 amp psu with all 6 cams they started working fine

So does that mean the dantech psu has gone?

cheers

Yes, or the cameras are drawing more than you think. How old are PSU's?

Possibly, but had a word with the technical team to ask for the power requirements and thats what they said, even they were confused lol

i think the psu's are about 4-5 years old,

the psus are u/s i have had many problems like this in the past, replace the psus and all should be ok

Employed by an NSI GOLD company

Any comments or views i have are my own, and do not represent that of my employer or clients.

u/s?? under stated

No useless.

Have used them before.

Some of the 12V models die after short while, similar faults as you posted.

There could be a short to earth on the power?

A camera could be faulty dragging the PSU down?

But more likely the PSU is faulty (you can tell, due to you testing with a different PSU).

Archived