Security Installer Community

Fixed Ip Address Due To Run Out.

mma

DDNS programmed into the router.

Hosted by DynDNS or the like.

I believe you can setup some DVR's to do this

Static IP is the best way IMO (or at least it was :lol:)

Hey Ho, Lets Go

Well, I don't know what the DNS will have to do with things, the more pertinent question to start asking is are the dvr's IPV6 compatible? And we're not going to run out yet, and IPV4 is still going to be with us for a year or two more before IPV6 goes mainstream - even Virgin Media aren't rolling out IPV6 yet!

Dynamic DNS services will probably fall by the wayside a bit with IPV6, as customers will be assigned their own blocks with enough IP's for their internal networks as well.

Well, I don't know what the DNS will have to do with things, the more pertinent question to start asking is are the dvr's IPV6 compatible? And we're not going to run out yet, and IPV4 is still going to be with us for a year or two more before IPV6 goes mainstream - even Virgin Media aren't rolling out IPV6 yet!

Dynamic DNS services will probably fall by the wayside a bit with IPV6, as customers will be assigned their own blocks with enough IP's for their internal networks as well.

There's going to be dual-stacking for at least 5-15 years. Most computers are IPv6 compatible but there aren't many IPv6 routers available easily. Also are all the ISP's ready for 3G and Broadband IPv6?

It's not just CCTV/Security equipment that's effected, smartphones, games consoles, print servers and many more Ethernet/IP based consumer goods are IPv4 only.

I wouldn't right off DDNS services just yet!

I don't see a problem in using dual-stacking, NAT-PT and Tunnelling to keep most of the existing IPv4 kit connected to the "new IPv6 internet".

Archived