Security Installer Community

Honeywell Galaxy G2-20 A Few Simple Questions

I had this installed professionally not so long back and all is well, however, I didn't look into the full array of features and now want to get those done.

The G2 has an area on it's board for Phone line connectivity etc... reading the manual states that it can send text messages and alerts if hooked up.

Now, when we moved in last August I wired the house with CAT6. I currently have my BT line extended over CAT6, presented in the loft and distributed.

The 'installation' manual I've read for the Galaxy suggests that the line fed to the panel must be the master line. Technically, although extended by CAT6, I can present the master line to the G2...

Would this be ok?

Would simply adding the line to the G2 panel allow it to be able to send alerts via text to me?

Given that I distribute the phone over CAT6 would I need to bother looping back out of the G2?

Also, on matters unrelated to the PSTN connection, I'm toying with the idea of changing my bell boxes from fairly standard LED blinking sounders, to the Pyronix Deltabell's which look nice with their backlight.

I'm not comfortable with opening the panel (worried I'll never get the tamper back on and end up with a non-functioning alarm), but I work in IT and am fairly savvy when it comes to IT stuff, just not so much with other kit. The fact the G2 has resistors scares me, as I don't really understand that stuff.

However, I was wondering if it would simply be a case of disconnecting the existing bell boxes and swapping the 6 core straight over to a Pyronix... If it's not as simple as that, I'll leave it, but if its simply taking the cables out of the old and hooking up to the new, then I could manage that.

I've got full engineers access to the alarm etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ok. Phone wants wiring up to the alarm, the alarm connected first, then all secondary points connected off the A1/B1 on the Gal pcb. When a signal is sent via SMS/ARC there is a rely that disconnects the rest of the points in the house. SMS txt is a funny one. Worked fine until last year, but then the SMS number got pulled. Of the ones we got out there, some work fine, some dont, this largely depends on when the msg is sent, so if the alert cant be 100% guaranteed, its a bit of a waste imo. We now tent to fit a Menvier SD2/3 which will send a voice call to up to ten no's, this will work no problem with any alarm. B

Bell boxes should be a straight swap, however different manufacturers have different labelling inside the bell units, the tampers may cause some confusion. They mainly have to be wired in series, but the Texecom Odysseys have a weird and wonderful way of connection. The Pyronix we dont fit, so wouldn't know tbh

BTW how have you managed to gain eng access to the alarm if it was professionally fitted? Just curious :)

Ok. Phone wants wiring up to the alarm, the alarm connected first, then all secondary points connected off the A1/B1 on the Gal pcb. When a signal is sent via SMS/ARC there is a rely that disconnects the rest of the points in the house. SMS txt is a funny one. Worked fine until last year, but then the SMS number got pulled. Of the ones we got out there, some work fine, some dont, this largely depends on when the msg is sent, so if the alert cant be 100% guaranteed, its a bit of a waste imo. We now tent to fit a Menvier SD2/3 which will send a voice call to up to ten no's, this will work no problem with any alarm. B

Bell boxes should be a straight swap, however different manufacturers have different labelling inside the bell units, the tampers may cause some confusion. They mainly have to be wired in series, but the Texecom Odysseys have a weird and wonderful way of connection. The Pyronix we dont fit, so wouldn't know tbh

BTW how have you managed to gain eng access to the alarm if it was professionally fitted? Just curious :)

Thanks for your reply. I am already speaking with my original installer and he is booked to come and do the work. The reason I have the code is because I am a friend of the installer and simply requested that I would like the code so that I can tweak the system once installed. Set up users, change exit tone length etc... and basically just explore it's features. Having the ability to do this interests me.

I'm merely intrigued by all things tech and am just trying to learn a bit more detail about whats what!

My main reason for asking about the PSTN is that, as I said, I've read the installation manual, but my installer seems to think I need an additional Galaxy comms mod to do basic comms via SMS etc, whereas my interpretation of the manual suggests I need nothing more than a dial tone present at the panel...

I asked about changing the Bellboxes because; I want my installer to change the dummy for live properly, but down the line I might want to change the boxes for some nicer looking ones. I don't really want to pay £100-200 if it's something I could probably do! And by the sounds of it, it is!

Nah the SMS will work with the on-board did comm, however weather or not it works is a risk imo. Simply hook the line into the panel,(remember to filter any adsl) then set up SMS txting. You will need the SMS number (not in the book) for it to work.

SMS txt is a funny one. Worked fine until last year, but then the SMS number got pulled. Of the ones we got out there, some work fine, some dont, this largely depends on when the msg is sent, so if the alert cant be 100% guaranteed, its a bit of a waste imo.

Yep, I found that as well. I eventually found an SMS centre that works, 07860 980480 is the one I'm using now. You could always pay for your own SMS text centre, I don't know if any of the central station services offer a SMS message centre though as I don't do anything that requires that.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived