Security Installer Community

Locking Engineer Code

Go103

I still think locking codes is wrong, but with big sites with multiple areas and complex programming that may have taken me hours to work out, why should I let someone else benefit from my hard work, let them work it out for themselves

so you agree ;)

so you agree ;)

partially

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

dont have a problem with locking panels providing its mentioned at the outset & terms agreed for unlocking.

We dont lock small jobs, & will default eng code foc (for existing customer) if at a time to suit us, c/o charge if specified time/date required. Gives us opportunity to find out why change of firm.

in case any members of the public not sure what we are on about...

When an alarm system is locked, it means mainly two things, the panel can no longer accept onsite, or sometimes, even offsite programming modification by anyone other than the installing company.

Usually, locking a control panel is done for several reasons. Sometimes, it is done to a leased or rented system to protect the installing company's equity in the system, other times companies do it to protect both the panel's programming integrity, as well as prevent account takeovers.

That said, systems are commonly locked out of programming or have the installer codes changed from default, even onsite programming disabled. It is a security concern, as well as a reasonable thing to do while a system is under contract.

However, upon termination of a contract, the ethical thing for an installing company to do is to "unlock" the panel, or change the installer code to a factory default, as well as enable the onsite-programming feature.

When considering monitoring as well as professional installation, always ask what their policy is with the alarm panel and locking.

Archived