Security Installer Community

Millions Jam Street-Level Crime Map Website

james.wilson

Irrelevant. It's your IP solution provider and ARC that you should be more concerned about.

I'll take that as a no then ;)

Being a 12volt luddite the only IP alarm stuff I have is dualcom with the optional IP board....

Mr th2.jpg Veritas God

yes but it would be easier to do a ddos attack on the recievers (pstn) than the ip stuff. Plus how would you perform such a feat? Its way higher up the grading level and expected intruder skill level than G4

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

James is right. A denial of service attack of any type is relevant to all forms of communication. So it's the same issue at the ARC for PSTN, ISDN, IP etc. etc.

I'd also point out that the original post mentions a website. Just a reminder that a website is a series of pages/information that resides on servers as part of the world wide web. It has nothing to do with Alarm Transmission, which is a machine to machine application.

Alarm Transmission Providers (ATS) employ diverse routing, back-up systems etc to limit the affect of a denial of service attack affecting the ARC operation. Its part of their service and duty of care to the end user, installer and the ARC. It protects themselves too. The ARC's also employ resillence of their own.

As an Alarm Transmission provider in the UK I disagree entirely with the comments made by IP Alarms. The comments assume that we (ATS providers and ARCs) do not take the resillience of the communications networks seriously or attempt to protect clients against either a malicious dos attack or one that is generated by a general network outage, whatever the communications medium.

I'm sorry IP Alarms, you've got your facts wrong this time with regards to the UK ATS.

Jim Carter

WebWayOne Ltd

www.webwayone.co.uk

yes but it would be easier to do a ddos attack on the recievers (pstn) than the ip stuff. Plus how would you perform such a feat? Its way higher up the grading level and expected intruder skill level than G4

You can be traced if you do a DOS on PSTN. Not much anyone can do about Boris and his mates in Russia.

Free Alarm Monitoring over the Internet from IP Alarms

I'd also point out that the original post mentions a website. Just a reminder that a website is a series of pages/information that resides on servers as part of the world wide web. It has nothing to do with Alarm Transmission, which is a machine to machine application.

A web site sits at the end of an IP address just as an IP alarm receiver does. When that IP address is flooded, it is out of service, regardless of the technicalities.

As an Alarm Transmission provider in the UK I disagree entirely with the comments made by IP Alarms. The comments assume that we (ATS providers and ARCs) do not take the resillience of the communications networks seriously or attempt to protect clients against either a malicious dos attack or one that is generated by a general network outage, whatever the communications medium.

I'm sorry IP Alarms, you've got your facts wrong this time with regards to the UK ATS.

Really, so will you accept my second invitation to inform an educated audience in the LinkedIn Alarm Monitoring Group how your solution protects against large scale DDoS attacks? Your company is the only UK provider that has not contributed on the ongoing discussion.

Really, so will you accept my second invitation to inform an educated audience in the LinkedIn Alarm Monitoring Group how your solution protects against large scale DDoS attacks? Your company is the only UK provider that has not contributed on the ongoing discussion.

Steve. I would be quite happy to join your group on linked-in but you and I are not connected and you have never personally invited me onto the group. However, Chris Carter Brennan (Commercial Director @ WebWayOne) is already a member of the group and has made several comments.

Jim Carter

WebWayOne Ltd

www.webwayone.co.uk

Steve.....just sent a request to join your Group...also notice that our M.D. is a member and has made several posts too.

Jim Carter

WebWayOne Ltd

www.webwayone.co.uk

id challange that you can flood an ip, you can flood a port, plus the firewall (even something as simple as IP Tables) can drop packets from foreign IP address's.

Its a problem on web servers especially on php or asp sites etc due to the load on the server handling those requests. However very small, low overhead comms would need a hell of a load to make it do that.

I read the al-queda tried something similar on the big 7 DNS servers, with no success. That is because a DNS server can handle lots of conncurrent requests as the overhead is very very low. Much like the amount of data sent back to an IP reciever when it initiates a connection. If you look at how SIA over IP works you will see the udp packet sent back after the initial request is tiny. a tiny proportion of the load and data transmitted on a http request.

I dont see how it could be achieved without massive investment (and i mean massive) I dont think even storm (huge botnet) would be big enough to hit it hard enough and fast enough.

I can see if the server being targeted had other exposed ports, ie http, smtp etc then it would easier to hit them to bring it down, but id assume the exposed surface of these things is minimal.

You can be traced if you do a DOS on PSTN

depends how you do it.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

id challange that you can flood an ip, you can flood a port, plus the firewall (even something as simple as IP Tables) can drop packets from foreign IP address's.

LOL - nothing to worry about then James. You've obviously studied DDoS in depth.

Archived