Security Installer Community

System Takeovers

danlad1980

hi all.

im looking for some info about system takeovers.

I am in the process of taking over a site with cctv and intruder system. the thing i like to know is how do i access the intruder system without having the engeernier code? do i contact the company with used to service the system and ask them for the code or will i have to get them to come out to site to change the code to a simple one so i can then chage it to my own when they have left site?

thanks for your time Dan.

hi all.

im looking for some info about system takeovers.

I am in the process of taking over a site with cctv and intruder system. the thing i like to know is how do i access the intruder system without having the engeernier code? do i contact the company with used to service the system and ask them for the code or will i have to get them to come out to site to change the code to a simple one so i can then chage it to my own when they have left site?

thanks for your time Dan.

You should default and reprogram the system yourself its the only safe way of knowing that they didnt make any mistakes when they programmed it, I treat takeovers like an install thats mostly done apart from the programming commissioning and the paperwork.

You could try contacting the installer and asking them their engineer code, and when he gets up off the floor from laughing at you he'll tell you how much he will charge to default it for you.

i would thimk of defaulting it but its also a large system on a shopping complx with over 50 shops on it and all the shop have there onw system but they also realy into the system im taking over. there is not much paper work with the system i.e whats connected to each input

Do you know if the fire authority insist on installing smoke detection to protect an escape route you can get round this by screwing them up to the ceiling without wiring them into the system,as they never check to see if they are working when they come back to see if you have done it (this actually did happen btw - I came round to do a service and magically these new heads had appeared from the last visit.Smoked them and smoked them then took one down to check the voltage at the base - site engineer said that they had just put them up to keep the brigade happy!!).

Quoted from another topic but a fine reason why you should always default,reprogram, and commission on takeovers, this way you will always find anything like the above and putting it right is chargable. If you do not take over a system properly especially Fire you will end up being charged and it could be with manslaughter

i would thimk of defaulting it but its also a large system on a shopping complx with over 50 shops on it and all the shop have there onw system but they also realy into the system im taking over. there is not much paper work with the system i.e whats connected to each input

Please don't take offence to this, but it sounds to me like this system is a step to far for you at the moment. I take it the exiting firm is approved?

its funny you should say that cos this site has it own fire alarm system and the *** company with fitted and maintained it always say it worked fine and the redcare was doing its job. one day i was taking with the security guys and said do you get many calls from the ARC when the fire alarm gose off. they said no never had a call from them!

so got me thinking. i could see the fire panel and the box the recare STU was in and i could see a power supply and phone line going to this box for the STU but i couldnt see any onther wires from this box to the fire panel.

so we opened the box to find there was nothing connected to the STU oter than power and phone line.

shocking thing is this is a big company who have done this.

so yes i see you point of covering your back 100%

no there not m8. the system is only there to inform the security guys onsite that an alarm is active on one of the shops. the shops have there own redcare

so we opened the box to find there was nothing connected to the STU oter than power and phone line.

shocking thing is this is a big company who have done this.

seen lots of similar scenarios, and tbh lots of times there is an explanation, two sides to every story.

how do the sec guards (read retards) check signals every time they do their compulsory test? why has this not been raised before? like I say chances are it's not even supposed to signal. Do they have 24hr presence on site?

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Archived