Security Installer Community

Alarm But No Mains

sjsturner

hi guys got a difficult job.

my old man has some land with buildings that are locked and gone to great measures to secure it.however it has just been broke into again for about the fourth time!we have no mains up there but could do something with large batterys and possible solar or wind?we could also run agenerator in the day but not at night because of the noise!

my question is has anyone else had a similar location were they have succesfully installed an alarm system with a gsm dialler but not had the luxury of mains power?

and any recomendations on the kit/brand to use.

ive not had to install in this situation before and would appreciate comments from those who could help.

many thanks

tricky,

1st thought are boat/caravan type alarms, i think some of the better boat alarms use GSM Tx or pagers.

i did a freinds snack wagon some years back that kept getting atacked, used a Selco car alarm, it had a 7 mile range pager and he lived a few miles away, but i think been withdrawn now as a tad illigal lol!

Arfur

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

How far away are the buildings from Mains?

very far!nearest people probably wouldent allow us to use theres!

im begining to think il use a normal panel and detection but battery only with big batterys!

current draw shouldent be too bad if a had one or two 80amp batterys.in the day the generator could charge them or possible trickle charge from a solar or wind unit?

trouble is they migt break - just in to steal the batteries ;).

what ever panel you finally go for, for check it's current consumption, expressed in MA (thousands of an amp) the lower the figure the longer it should last.

you can get 17 amp alarm type batteries, but a few in parrelel might over you for several days.

i wonder if you would be wise to go with a Risco Agility system, panel can have a GSM dialler built in, that way you only need to power the panel, with detection having their own batteries that last 3 - 5 years. there are batery watchIn detctors i can vouch very good in places like barns against wildlife false alarms, even the sirens and keypad are all battery powered.

you need mains to 'kick' it into life due to battery protection, then it will run on it's internal battery. issue here is it's only a 6 volt so you need to design around that problem, perhaps using a stablised voltage dropper.

if you can then imho thats a likely i'd go, here is a link to have a better look

http://www.riscogroup.co.uk/Products.aspx?subcatid=252&id=18

Arfur

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

trouble is they migt break - just in to steal the batteries ;).

what ever panel you finally go for, for check it's current consumption, expressed in MA (thousands of an amp) the lower the figure the longer it should last.

you can get 17 amp alarm type batteries, but a few in parrelel might over you for several days.

i wonder if you would be wise to go with a Risco Agility system, panel can have a GSM dialler built in, that way you only need to power the panel, with detection having their own batteries that last 3 - 5 years. there are batery watchIn detctors i can vouch very good in places like barns against wildlife false alarms, even the sirens and keypad are all battery powered.

you need mains to 'kick' it into life due to battery protection, then it will run on it's internal battery. issue here is it's only a 6 volt so you need to design around that problem, perhaps using a stablised voltage dropper.

if you can then imho thats a likely i'd go, here is a link to have a better look

http://www.riscogroup.co.uk/Products.aspx?subcatid=252&id=18

Arfur

thanks arfur il take a look.

you really dont need to teach me about indicies (ma)

i did retain some knowledge from all those years of college!lol

I have powered a fire alarm from a small solar panel + inverter and leisure battery. Think the customer had 3 days full use out of it. I would expect a security alarm to draw a bit less.

Think the solar panel was about 25 quid, get a 2 or 3 that trickle charge the battery, should work pretty well. You can omit the transformer in the panel connect your leisure battery up (fused) and have your normal back up battery installed. Get your communicator to alert you to faults.

That's what I would do anyway good luck :ninja:

If your handy with a soldering iron you could make a very simple alarm system, that draws next to no current when on standby.

This would be a sounder only as only desgined as a motorcycle alarm (I have built a few). It could be modified to trigger a GSM Dialler I would think. I have schematics.

If your going down the wireless route I recommend a Powermax Complete with a GSM Dialler as they run off a small 12Vdc PSU for the mains connection. This could be adapted to your Solar/Battery/Wind-farm easily.

If standard wired alarm was to be run on batteries, you could use an inverter or a panel that the mains fail can be programmed out (premier's will do this). Current drawn maybe an issue and you would have to check current in and out before fitting.

How far are you away from site? Scantronic do long range wireless gear had pa buttons working over 1km.

Archived