Security Installer Community

Are Things On The Up?

RichL

We've been told that the UK came out of recession some time ago and that a double dip is unlikely, but does anyone else think things might now be on the up?

Public sector cuts are over 4 years so possibly not going to be as bad as labour say.

Those who follow the markets will know that the FTSE 100 reached 6000 recently for the first time since I think 2008.

Mining and oil stocks have done well lately indicating an increase in demand for raw materials, surely this means demand for finished goods looks set to rise globally.

China etc have massive growth.

The UK banks have got themselves turned around to some extent, quicker than predicted.

The Euro zone hasn't fallen apart at the seems, recent good news from Spain in that China had bought some of their debt.

We seem to have a stable coalition gov here too despite earlier misgivings.

Tentative foundations for better times ahead?

Originally said by Charles Babbage
On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.

We are really busy loads of money being spent, from all quarters, however, councils are cutting back, several of my council customers are talking about redundancies and selling off buildings, who knows who too I cant see what anyone could use them for. One of the people I have a lot of dealings with has accepted voluntary redundancy leaves in March luckily the chap who takes over knows us well

Its hard to say all round.

From our POV we have done very little small - medium domestics in last 6 - 12 months, something i put down to them cost cutting and using cheaper installers. On the other hand we are doing lots of commercial work and the odd large domestic.

IMO it has always been down to getting people spending again, they get scared and keep the cash in their pocket. That in its self causes the whole problem to be much greater.

From our POV we have done very little small - medium domestics in last 6 - 12 months,

This sort of works needs a buoyant housing market than at the moment, imo.

On the other hand we are doing lots of commercial work

This is a good sign. My commercial work is up on the previous 30 months or so.

and the odd large domestic.

The A/Bs type people are less effected by the housing market, they have brass.

All in line with my experiences, and like I say, I think things as on the up albeit gradually.

Originally said by Charles Babbage
On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.

Last week we did 2 installs, 1 upgrade and 5 take-overs, this week we've got 2 installs and 2 take-overs booked. If it stays like this I'll be content.

To get the economy back on track properly we need houses to start selling. Every time someone sells a house and buys another one they spend around £20 - £30k on home improvements, new telly's, car's, Etc. When houses aren't selling all those £30k's are absent from the usual pattern. what we need is something to stimulate house sales, eg. a temporary reduction of stamp duty.

PM me for access to the SSAIB members discussion area.

Last week we did 2 installs, 1 upgrade and 5 take-overs, this week we've got 2 installs and 2 take-overs booked. If it stays like this I'll be content.

To get the economy back on track properly we need houses to start selling. Every time someone sells a house and buys another one they spend around £20 - £30k on home improvements, new telly's, car's, Etc. When houses aren't selling all those £30k's are absent from the usual pattern. what we need is something to stimulate house sales, eg. a temporary reduction of stamp duty.

We tend not to do so many, then again it depends on the install size and price.

We tend not to do so many, then again it depends on the install size and price.

I think you misunderstood ... the housing market puts serious money into businesses of all kinds so the country's economy booms

PM me for access to the SSAIB members discussion area.

Archived