Security Installer Community

Da System Abacus 8R

nv_london

Dear all, I'm a new member and it's my first post so please go easy and thanks in advance for any help and advice.

I bought a house with an DA systems Abacus 8R alarm already installed (no manual/instructions to be found anywhere). After playing around with the keypad I managed to programme and set the alarm (the internal siren beeps for 30 or so secs and the alarm then sets....all good).

However, if activated (by a sensor for example), only the internal alarm sounds the external bell box/siren remains silent.

I have absolutely no idea where to start in trying to resolve this problem.

Could it be a fuse in the internal control box?

Is it more likely to be with the actual external bell box?

Do I somehow have to programme the external box via the keypad?

Any help would be much apprciated.

Thanks yet again.

Just ti say it may be a suren fault, even disconnected due to faults on the system, so a 'bell test' is your 1st check to see if it is operational.

If that works then a common mistake made is system has to be fully armed ti get external siren to activate on tripping a detector.

If your tripping s detector before the exit bleep stops, you won't get external warnings.

User manual may be available from here or google it

Arfur

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

The other thing it could be is that the detector you are using to trip it is programmed as entry/exit, if it is you will get 30 seconds of entry noise then a 30 seconds or so of internal sounder (much louder) before the external sounder goes, Im not accusing you of doing this just saying its what may of happened. The best way to test it is to either do a bell test dependent on the software version this should be as follows:

Enter code and press no

screen says "omit zone?" press no, or if its later software it will say "yes to continue no to quit" press yes the screen will the say "omit zone?" press no

Screen then says "1 Prog 2 Test 3 Log 4 Day" press 2

Screen then says "1 Bell 2 sound 3 walktest" press bell and the bell should start ringing press 0 to stop and keep pressing 0 to return to normal day mode.

Alternatively set it and trigger it on a detector thats definitely not on the entry exit route

This panel has been obsolete for a few years now, good panels but should be serviced regularly by someone familiar with them they did suffer from firmware failures where they occasionally forgot user codes which nearly always happened after they where set so the user couldnt turn the thing off

Hi.

Thanks all.

I tried the bell test...no luck. Just a very faint 'clicking' from the box i.e. it seemed as though it was allconnected properly and the box did realise it needed to sound, but it just couldn't. Like i said, no 100db sound just an extremely faint 'clicking'.

Any advice/thoughts?

The other thing it could be is that the detector you are using to trip it is programmed as entry/exit, if it is you will get 30 seconds of entry noise then a 30 seconds or so of internal sounder (much louder) before the external sounder goes

I thought an Abacus would activate the external sounder after the first 30secs?

I thought an Abacus would activate the external sounder after the first 30secs?

Not on an entry zone it gives a louder noise to say hurry up and switch me off before I ring the bells, the time for this can be pre programmed by the engineer

Archived