Security Installer Community

Simon Banks,dualcom Speaks Out Against Web Way One

james.wilson

http://www.info4secu...orycode=4125664

Well i suppose they have stopped having a pop at Redcare now.

As the market leader (based on new monthly connections), CSL DualCom welcomes the opportunity to comment on this issue.

Indeed, we would be more than happy to participate in a proper debate between the various stakeholders designed to produce conclusive findings that will help and support bemused security installers.

In my opinion, the WebWayOne follow-up article is a loosely disguised 'advertisement' for its wares. Predictably, it's one-sided and arguably somewhat blinkered.

There's no mention of the British Security Industry Association (BSIA), which has absolutely and publicly distanced itself from LPS 1277. The BSIA doesn't condone LPS. The latter works against the EN standards we've all been striving towards for the last decade and more.

WebWayOne has been trading in the security market for approximately ten years now, and has installed a claimed 18,000 units.

Our customers have connected more CSL products this year. I'm not being arrogant when I say that, but merely illustrating the scale of these companies so that their views do not out-scale reality.

Also having been involved with the discussions surrounding LPS 1277 and the BSIA, my own feelings are that LPS1277 has some merit but needs further refinement. I also dont agree it works again EN, the problem is in this area EN is not robust enough.

Anyone have a link to this 'follow-up' article?

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

We'll only sell IP to retailers who are self-insured and also fully aware of the risks associated with sending their alarm signals via an ISP. If the retailer runs their own robust IT infrastructure then IP signalling is an acceptable solution, although maintenance work (usually undertaken at night) and the 'plug in the wall' powering of routing hardware is a long way removed from EN50131 and fused spurs!

eh ?

Mr? Veritas God

Possibly, But then the pbx feeding the line won't be either.

But afaik web way have a digi based offering too.

James

What PABX?

If we are trully looking to the future and we loose our IP for whatever reason. Chance will surely be we loose our voice (VOIP) as well. so we have to consider a weaker second path WIRELESS. There you go i said it, a wireless backup in case the hard wired bit fails. Now for the medium GPRS/GSM?

Customers!

I wasn't meaning voip.

I do agree ip is the future and the more I look into gprs the more it seems weak in some implementations. I'm going to run my own availability test of gprs and polling and see how it goes. My phone for instance always shows it has a data connection, but often when I try to use it, it isn't there. If I put the phone into and out of airplane mode it then works. Or if I leave it a few minutes it starts to work again.

I wonder if these gprs com units are constantly shutting down the link and restarting it.

Your recent log from a gprs unit is worrying, we wouldn't know we had an issue as we don't use a digi as well to compare. It's worrying that a digi beat the superior signalling system.

Aaron

Your right on the date, didnt notice, it was in a marketing email from csl i got yesterday. Hadnt seen the article myself until then

I assume this

http://www.info4security.com/story.asp?storycode=4125611

is the article simon refers to.

• 2 years later...

Slight thread hijack but, " £500 million per annum " to power telephone lines? I'm sure it all adds up, but that sounds like a
nonsence figure to me.

I can't ever see BT removing copper from the domestic home, even on new builds, ever, as long as they retain a legal or regulatory
responsability to provide an analogue adaptor and backup battery, that is. I know there have been trials but the idea that every home

would have a box the size of a suitcase by the front door, containing life limted batteries, life-limited overheating Chinese termination
equipment, despite the power being the householders responsability, is surely a rope around the neck of BT a magnitude greater

than just paying the electric bill and maintaining a 2.5" white plastic box in every house?

I think cellular wireless broadband at Gbps speeds inc. 'fixed wireless' PSTN will see the end of copper, not fibre.

Hey ho, off to WW1 in Cardiff on Thursday anyway, wonder if they'll mention it?!

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Fibre will have a place on the backhaul of course - but as DD said, for the last mile it will almost certainly be wireless that replaces copper in the end.

Yes, thats what I meant, obviously for DSL purposes fibre is already replacing copper as far as the end of your street, certainly round our way its hard to find any streets without the new jumbo green cabinets left! Even 10+ years ago when I lived in Plymouth we were told we couldn't get (the then very new) ADSL because the whole estate ran off some sort of POTS wiring concentrator powered by a single fibre! Progress eh?!

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Archived