Security Installer Community

Ade Gen4 - Alarm On Mains Powering Up?

mib150

lol, less of the old.

tbo, suggested (to students) looking for "old" tools on auction sites, car boot etc. blank looks all round.

tools/kit are cheap these days (well for the while), but Q tools are still as expensive as ever, but harder to convince those just starting, or those who will only use once or twice &/or are buying to avoid call out charge etc.

I still giggle at the guy who watched me fit an RJ45 crimp plug, as you know, tricky when you 1st start, with practice it's just as hard as blinking.

"so that's how you do it" - "I tried by pushing one lead in at s time".

Funny how people interpret what seems to us straight forward instructions Lol!

Arfur

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

rj45, theyre certainly fiddly & getting wires in the right order - just when you think got it right, doh..

found, as sure you & most on here good tools help. rj45 & bnc crimping tools spring to mind where poor Q really dont help. either fail lan tester (so end up using driver to force pins down :whistle: ) or bnc plug pulls off (so end up using pliers :'( )

Ever tried jointing fibre optics.

Clean, clean.Clean and clean zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I have the endoscope and microscope kit for this, tbh there are newer methods out that make life far easier than it was, but if you can measure the distance, then Auriga will make it up and end for you, which makes life as simple as plugging and quick as plugging in a aerial lead ;).

Arfur

I`ll remember to rephrase my questions.

Anyone remember when fiber optics became more of the norm and the way you were taught to clean clean and clean joints...............

rj45, theyre certainly fiddly & getting wires in the right order - just when you think got it right, doh..

found, as sure you & most on here good tools help. rj45 & bnc crimping tools spring to mind where poor Q really dont help. either fail lan tester (so end up using driver to force pins down :whistle: ) or bnc plug pulls off (so end up using pliers :'( )

A lot of the 'skill' is in having decent tools, I can't pass a tool shop without 'just having a look' for that bit if kit that will make life easier for that job, basically I'm lazy, I like the easiest option and I don't mind spending to get it, because it usually pays dividends :).

Arfur

Nope. Used fibre installed by others but never installed it. More of an old school copper man myself.

It is a fussy job, you have to very careful to isolate the fibre cut offs a bit like dealing with used needles. but I also get a certain satisfaction doing such work, bit like when running mineral, making it look tidy, clips spaced properly, straight and bends arcked aesthetically.

I like doing different works time to time, especially when its a bit quiet, breaks up the monotony and challenges you.

although you can't step back and admire your work on the polishing results - because without the scope, you can't see it :).

Arfur

Archived