Security Installer Community

The Security Alliance Gives Cautious Welcome....

james.wilson

Unfortunately this industry has a poor track record for training, even when offered free gratis. Some/many manufacturers do offer training/support and at the Installers premises too, to minimise down time and disruption. Yet many cancel at the last minute with a weak/pathetic excuse - and those are the ones who bothered to inform.

Sure enough, a week or so later, tech support lines are busy with these same companies demanding urgent help with their men on site struggling with various problems.

Doesn't exactly suggest the companies have an eye on the future.

Yep agreed.

For small firms like us those training days are priceless, yet foc. adi used to offer discounted days too, when you pay (albeit discounted) you turn up. madness.

Why

In Aus as a firm, be it builders, plummer you need to have paper work and be able demonstrate to a vetting comitee you can conduct you trade and on a sound footing. If your sussesful you are then issued you with a licence.

Trade without it, get caught then very serious fines I believe.

Arfur

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

In Aus as a firm, be it builders, plummer you need to have paper work and be able demonstrate to a vetting comitee you can conduct you trade and on a sound footing. If your sussesful you are then issued you with a licence.

Trade without it, get caught then very serious fines I believe.

Arfur

What's that got to do with anything?

i did wonder how the states do it also,

Arf if they do that in Australia, do they do it for all trades?

HOw would it work in an eu compliant way etc

Actually, an explanation of how it allegedly works in Oz would be useful

I know rough details of a sparks in Oz.

3 yrs apprenticeship, get signed off another 2 yrs practical and classroom IIRC and then another exam.

Then and only then can yo be let loose alone.

All with correct insurance obviously.

Even going there as a fully qualled trade your still subject to exams.

I again mention the above is a rough idea as my brother is a plumber and married a Oz girlie and he looked into it.

I know rough details of a sparks in Oz.

3 yrs apprenticeship, get signed off another 2 yrs practical and classroom IIRC and then another exam.

Then and only then can yo be let loose alone.

All with correct insurance obviously.

Even going there as a fully qualled trade your still subject to exams.

I again mention the above is a rough idea as my brother is a plumber and married a Oz girlie and he looked into it.

No different to what it used to be here.

But the specific here is company.

i did wonder how the states do it also,

Arf if they do that in Australia, do they do it for all trades?

HOw would it work in an eu compliant way etc

i'm no expert in this, just watched to many episodes of 'Wanted abroad' ;).

last place the wife worked, the bosses dad was in Oz for i think about 10 years (i do his alarms), he is not short of a few bob, whne he emigrated he started up a building buisness.

i can only relate wat i understand, but he could not just rent a building and install some phone lines, he had to prove he had the trade skills to support the business, being builders that would be near trades required, to much obviously for one guy to know in a new country.

they don't make it easy for poms let alone their nationals, but i did like his style, to the interview he took a coach load of future workers, all trade recognised and covered everything needed. caused absolute meyhem in the '2 hourse' town hall apparently.

Not sure if the states do anything like this sort of veting, but may be so in some of the states - it would not surprise me.

Arfur

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

I think they tried to do this in the building industry where they had grandfather rights for the old guys who were bricklayers but never went to college and gave them an assessment on the job they were doing. College leavers would automatically get a ticket for their trade by doing a recognised course. All those who fell outside the two main routes could get a ticket in a particular pub in London, no questions asked, even change their country of origin if necessary. So Mr Security expert who do you want to be tonight??

Archived