Security Installer Community

Cif, 2Cif, Or 4Cif / D1. What Do You Use And Why

james.wilson

I have been putting a new dvr through its paces over the last few weeks. (ill do the jokes ;) ) I have always avoided anything higher then 2CIF due to interlace issues and general poor performance at D1 on any PAL camera (obviously decent IP cams are ok at this res) But seeing how this thing i have performs at D1 i think im changing my mind. I know there is an increased storage demand etc but as ive previously said id rather have 2-5 fps of real quality then 12 fps of poor. As a compromise i have been using the video motion detector to increase framerate as req (suprisingly it even keeps the pre alarm at full framerate) Anyway Genuine question what do you lot tend to set your dvrs on and why? Neednt say machine type if you dont want to.

Ill start

DM Digi sprite 2's

4 ish fps per cam. Not dynamic fps but do use the interleave function and 2 CIF.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

I also set it up on around 6 fps on d1. I never use motion only. Have missed incidents in the past. I think its better to have a higher quality than higher frame rate. Would recommend using a dvr were you can set up each cameras frame rate individually so higher rates for areas such as entrances to car parks with fast moving objects. No use installing high res cameras if you don't record at a high quality.

Would recommend using a dvr were you can set up each cameras frame rate individually so higher rates for areas such as entrances to car parks with fast moving objects. No use installing high res cameras if you don't record at a high quality.

Don't they all do this anyway these days?

Normally 5 fps ish, normally D1, 2cif on some of last years machines.

• 10 months later...

Sorry for bringing up an old post

Have any of your opinions changed in the last year. I usually use anything from 8-12fps @ D1.

At what frame rate do you reach saturation, I used to think 16fps was the cut-off point where anything beyond that wasn't noticeable

I have an audit for EN50132 next month ant want to be prepared for every question, one being why don't I record in realtime

i dont think you get much benefit of anything above 12 fps.

However if the view is wide then fps is less important.

I posted this a bit ago which does a good job of showing fps vs captured images at a set target speed.

FramesPerSec_Metric.pdf

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

According to a secured by design policeman i met in west london last month, they will be looking for a min of 12fps at D1 in the near future....

Cant complain at that, think of all the extra storage and the quality of the 16 ch dvr needed to acheive that

Archived