Security Installer Community

Opening Ports On Bt Business Hub

alterEGO

Fixed is obviously preferable, but i use dyndns pro extensively for dynamic tbh i've had no problems, and you have no real choice if the client is on cable (as i am) and won't go for a seperate ADSL connection.

Aaron, there is 3 ways to use it,

1) enter the details into the router,

2) run a free update program on a PC,

3) enter the details into the DVR,

i use both 2 &3 together but set a long update period on the 'hosting PC, the DVR will then still update the DYNDNS server even if the port forwarding has been knocked out in the router or router is replaced. shows no regular updates recently that points to likely the network cable has been unpluged or the DVR is actually switched off/locked up.

DYNDNS is updated at 1440 minutes, thats the minimum or the server shuts you out. so if they lose access i simply tell whoever to run the update program which will re update and restor access if all else is well.

i use DYNDNS even on fixed ip's, that way i can see from the update logs and if the DVR is still connected before i go on any 'no remote access' service calls.

really helps narrow it down if the clients IT resident geek has been fiddling about, or the POS till engineers who are a real PIA for doing this have been in.

Arur

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

lol

better than most consumer routers imho.

stability wise

your a draytek fan if i recall?

I am indeed.

Never liked the 2wire unit, too many niggles with it.

However, the Drayteks were not designed as a giveaway domestic consumer unit although they are easy enough to set up.

IMHO the 2 wire is ok but I personally had a fight with them doing port forwarding on them, not the easiest to grasp at first but so many out there you get to practice.

For ease I prefer belkin or d-link, not had an issues with either, where as cisco - omg what a pia they are, and tech help rude and feckless.

Arfur

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived