Security Installer Community

Cctv Problem?

connor2425

Hi,

Got a problem which i hope someone can diagnose? a customer pulled a coax out the back of his dvr whilst moving his monitor resulting in pulling off the BNC, Ive replaced the BNC and re powered the DVR, the DVR powers up fine but the camera wont run through it so cant be seen on the monitor(abit of scramble). Ive connected the camera direct to the monitor and its fine! could he of damaged the DVR?

Thanks

Agreed,easy enough to test all parts for continuity.

Another easy test is to swap the camera next to it see if that works.

All basic stuff really.

I think the fact the camera works when connected to the monitor would suggest to me its the port on the DVR. have you tried swapping 2 of the cameras over?

Read up knobby :P

Thanks for the Replies! I only had a hour on it this morn and did all the above tests, the Dvr was operating correctly in term of menus etc but the camera just wouldnt show, so i suspect hes damaged it, but ill double check the cable from DVR to monitor again.

How many cameras are connected to the DVR?

If it is just one camera, many DVRs sense what video system to use, i.e. Pal or Ntsc and the often do this on channel 1 and NTSC is usually the default. If its on NTSC the camera could show B/W or not at all. Try shutting down and restarting making sure the camera is connected on power up.

But from what you have said, I would think the connector is damaged, a resolder may fix it (depending on the connection) but if he admits its his fault and does not want to pay for a repair (warranty would not cover this), move the camera to a spare channel (if available) but be aware of what I said in the first paragraph.The DVR will most likely work without issue (relating to this at least).

seems odd to me that the client moved the monitor, broke the connection and you hve had this issue.

i personally think there is a problem with/near you new plug, like a cracked inner core a short distance way from the new plug you fitted, otherwise although you have tried the camera direct on the monitor, the monitor input may well be intermittent.

if it has IN and OUT try swapping to the OUT socket on the monitor

tbh this is where the availability of a reasonable test monitor known to work properly, pays its weight in gold many many times over, investing in one is highly advised.

Arfur

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived