Security Installer Community

Netgear Dg843

Adi

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i tried address 1, 2, 3 and 4 then gave up.

one of the routers have wireless b band with no password, so thought i was going to have an easy time.

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

i tried address 1, 2, 3 and 4 then gave up.

one of the routers have wireless b band with no password, so thought i was going to have an easy time.

imo that really points to MAC address filtering, you need to get access to the router and have a look if the client allows

other than that. important to match the routers address i.e. 196.168.0.1 or 254), your laptop needs to be 196.168.0.100 (i.e.'100' is a 'free' address)

look at subnet usually 255.255.255.0 ut must match the router exactly

Arfur

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

imo that really points to MAC address filtering, you need to get access to the router and have a look if the client allows

Arfur

How do you come to that conclusion?

My router here has it's gateway address changed. Can anyone guess what it is? No.

I'll narrow it down. It's the 3rd octet. So, any of 254 options.

On the current project of networking many sites we are having to change the Gateway to a unique number on each one - to avoid conflicts.

I connected me lappy to the above, used 192.168.0.1 to connect but wont have it, is there a way to find its address or should i say what's the easiest way to find it.

There are 2 b band lines in this building so i suppose it wouldnt be that bad to look at at network info on each of the computers, would this be the normal way??

This router is connected to atleast one or two rack mount switches some of it ppoe (or whatever it is, if i had a longer patch lead i would have tried connecting into the switch but i would of thought direct to the router should work.

cheers chaps

Adi,

Is there a server on the system? Ifso, it may well be this is also the DHCP Server so the two routers will more than likely have it switched off.

ipconfig from a current client will/should divvy up the info you require.

other than that. important to match the routers address i.e. 196.168.0.1 or 254), your laptop needs to be 196.168.0.100 (i.e.'100' is a 'free' address)

look at subnet usually 255.255.255.0 ut must match the router exactly

Arfur

When i left site i thought i should have altered me lappy's address.

Adi,

Is there a server on the system? Ifso, it may well be this is also the DHCP Server so the two routers will more than likely have it switched off.

ipconfig from a current client will/should divvy up the info you require.

Yes mate, i'll have a more indepth look at it tomorrow.

I had a few minutes spare on friday before i picked me lad up from school, so i thought id stick me lappy in the router to check user name and password as client seems to think they are at default names, i'm thinking not.

but as we know i didnt get that far.

right then, there is only 1 line with above router connected.

This is connected to a server running windows server 2003.

Ive now got the ip address and gateway info ect..

I can view dvr on the internal network.

If i connect lappy direct to router, it wont connect, wont show login screen.

If i try to connect to server using office computer to add network device, it asks to install some windows server app or something then asks to run wizard to carry on but there is nothing to click on to run the wizard.

Connected to the server in the server room is a monitor, keyboard and mouse, the password on a weird instruction sheet at the side of this, dosent let me in, if i get this password, will i be able to do port forwarding from this end?

Why cant i connect direct to router?

thanks lads

right then, there is only 1 line with above router connected.

This is connected to a server running windows server 2003.

Ive now got the ip address and gateway info ect..

I can view dvr on the internal network.

If i connect lappy direct to router, it wont connect, wont show login screen.

If i try to connect to server using office computer to add network device, it asks to install some windows server app or something then asks to run wizard to carry on but there is nothing to click on to run the wizard.

Connected to the server in the server room is a monitor, keyboard and mouse, the password on a weird instruction sheet at the side of this, dosent let me in, if i get this password, will i be able to do port forwarding from this end?

Why cant i connect direct to router?

thanks lads

They've possibly changed the port for web entry into the router. Default is port 80, possibly changed it to 8080 (it's a common alternative)

Get their IT people to sort it, sounds like you are in over your head, they probably have DHCP turned off on the router and are running another server

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Archived