Security Installer Community

Switched Spur In Bathroom

hpotter

Ive got a wall mounted fan heater in bathroom, connected via unswitched fused spur on wall above it. I want to fit a heated towel rail instead.

Fan heater has pull cord to switch on. Towel rail aint, so can I swap unswtched for switched as is, (as adjoining flat has - prof sparky did it), or should it be (as I planned before seeing other flat) a flex outlet & sw spur outside bathroom?

Ive got a wall mounted fan heater in bathroom, connected via unswitched fused spur on wall above it. I want to fit a heated towel rail instead.

Fan heater has pull cord to switch on. Towel rail aint, so can I swap unswtched for switched as is, (as adjoining flat has - prof sparky did it), or should it be (as I planned before seeing other flat) a flex outlet & sw spur outside bathroom?

switches are not alowd in bathrooms under any circumstances niceic domestic installer by the way ;) you would need to put switched spur outside bathroom then run to flex connection outlet on wall by towel rail

switches are not alowd in bathrooms under any circumstances niceic domestic installer by the way ;) you would need to put switched spur outside bathroom then run to flex connection outlet on wall by towel rail

oh one other thing, this is covered by part p and would need certificating by a part p registered sparky ;)

"If you carry your childhood with you, you never become old. Why rush to end life when happiness is in the blissfulness of childhood innocence."

"We all die, the goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will."

I had always thought the latter, but i'm not a spark.

Unless regs on this has changed recently .... for many years it was thought that switches in bathrooms weren't allowed, but that was incorrect. Switches, wall switches, sockets, switched spurs, Etc. were all completely within regulations ... provided is wasn't possible to operate them while touching any bath or sink ..... so in a large bathroom wall switches were/are fine.

I once had a house rewire failed by the then Yorkshire Electricity Board because I had fitted a wall light switch in a large bathroom. I blew my top! ... and made the inspector go back to the house and apologise to the owner and admit that he was wrong.

PM me for access to the SSAIB members discussion area.

Guest old-hand
Switches, wall switches, sockets, switched spurs, Etc. were all completely within regulations ... provided is wasn't possible to operate them while touching any bath or sink ..... so in a large bathroom wall switches were/are fine.

I can plug in my shaver and have a hot/cold tap running in the other..................

Archived