Security Installer Community

Fitting Unswitched Fused Spurs For Alarm Systems

clivesorts

As long as you have had training, can carry out the tests, issue a certificate and the work is not in a notifiable area, anyone can do it.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

I though part 'P' was required for wet area's?

Must have installed spurs into the thousands, but these days I whack a 3amp fused plug into a nearby socket.

Relate hate the idea but the time and costs of the course and paperwork etc just not worth it based on numbers done, so client left to engage sparks.

Arfur

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

• 4 months later...

seems crazy to me but on a recent install i had both a close socket to take a spur from or even closer a consumer unit with a spare way and 6 amp breaker fitted,under the rules of part p i am not allowed to fit to the consumer unit as that is classed as running a new circuit and as such is notifiable,however i am able to connect to the socket which puts my alarm system onto the same circuit as all those lovely inductive loads around the house,it is frustrating as i would have liked to go with a nice clean spare way and i also went to collage for a few years did both a c&g 2360 also 16th edition iee reg as it was when i trained but still now am relegated to fitting spurs how a diyer has to,my qualifications no longer qualify me to connect 3 conductors inside a consumer unit but yet i can do a bodge job and spur from the back of a socket.rant over just think the worlds gone mad.

seems crazy to me but on a recent install i had both a close socket to take a spur from or even closer a consumer unit with a spare way and 6 amp breaker fitted,under the rules of part p i am not allowed to fit to the consumer unit as that is classed as running a new circuit and as such is notifiable,

if that was true - which it isn`t.

simply take the supply from the existing breaker - no new circuit is created so no partP notification is required. A new circuit is defined by the fitting of the new breaker NOT the location.

source - IET

agree with what you say but the breaker was spare ie it is fitted to the consumer unit but had no cable connected to it,if i was then the 1st person to connect a cable to it then i would be creating a new circuit,i am aware that you can spur from inside a consumer unit from an existing circuit but cant start a new one,just think its madness that i could have piggy backed into another circuit but am not allowed to use the empty breaker terminals a few inches away.sorry if i wasent clear.

your not supposed to spur from an mcb but obviously you can from a j box outside a consumer unit - now thats madness.

You cant get better than using a mcb dedicated to that circuit, spurring off an existing circuit and you can become liable for all thats on that circuit, madness yet again

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

Archived