Security Installer Community

Trying To Start My Own Business

You make valid points about ISO. I've been able to know everything about my business up to now, but I think I'm at the point where I need to seriously consider splashing out on ISO accreditation ... It's all getting too big for one person to be the reference point.

Why??

If the 'system' in use is too complex, then the system is wrong. It's surprising how inflexible systems 'complying to ISO' can be.

and why do you need someone to come along, read your quality manual and such like then tell you if you are compliant?

A common jibe aimed at consultants is:

Lend me your watch, i'll tell you what time it is, then i'll sell the watch back to you.

I just think quality & consistancy are sometimes confused, with regard to iso.

Exactly

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why??

If the 'system' in use is too complex, then the system is wrong.

What I would really like to do is spend a day or 2 at the office of another company to see how they run their organisation. I may be doing everything right, but there's always that feeling that maybe I'm missing out on something ....... Any takers?

PM me for access to the SSAIB members discussion area.

What I would really like to do is spend a day or 2 at the office of another company to see how they run their organisation. I may be doing everything right, but there's always that feeling that maybe I'm missing out on something ....... Any takers?

One possible 'issue', if thats the right word, is the inspectorate.

As i see it, many companies adopt a system based on the guidelines suggested by the said inspectorate.

The generic guidelines are simply that, generic guidelines.

It's surprising how quickly they become perceived defacto standards, as if carved in tablets of stone.

The outcome being that many companies may be trying to comply to a system that may not be correct for them, but is one the Inspector is comfortable with.

whilst realising this is some kind of trap im gonna run right into it.

Id say our procedures are all 3 but id also say that in parts they are also calculative

James, you cynic. :)

I would argue they are 2. Whilst you may try and aim for 3, others (ACPO, NSI, etc) will often be 1. Complying with the procedures. rules, regs of said agencies therefore constricts you.

If the 'system' in use is too complex, then the system is wrong. It's surprising how inflexible systems 'complying to ISO' can be.

And so often they are: too complex & too rigid.

When a small business need only jot down what they do & how they do it, in an everyday, plain English way that anyone can follow - why must they follow a system alien to them, because a paid consultant is familiar with?

so basically the whole std isnt needed? hpotter i dont actually know do you operate iso?

ISO, like H & S has become a huge industry in its own right. The essence of what each is about is both noble and a positive framework to eradicate sloppy practices.

That said, implementing them raises valid issues imo with the 3rd parties holding the rubber stamps (yep thats a dig). Where ISO stands out is that pigeon hole syndrome. No two businesses are the same regardless they are trading in the same industry. Thats where innovation florishes. Its not about bending the rules, nor making the rules suit. Its about the rules (or at least those rubber stamping) acknowleging the differences, and accepting something can be done 10 different ways.

I posted above - quality & consistancy are two different things. You can consistantly make HQ rubber washers or consistantly make ok rubber washers - both acceptable for ISO.

Of the 3 firms we operate 1 is ISO accredited, though all 3 operate on very similar lines.

(Would add proberbly going to have to get a second ISO'd - to take advantage of current business climate)

Cor blimmey i only wanted advice. Which, by the way has been outstanding thankyou very much everyone. But i think i have started something very different between a few people :bruce_h4h: . Keep up the good work lads!!! Your all doing a sterling job! cheers.

Cor blimmey i only wanted advice. Which, by the way has been outstanding thankyou very much everyone. But i think i have started something very different between a few people :bruce_h4h: . Keep up the good work lads!!! Your all doing a sterling job! cheers.

We're not right good at staying on topic .... but some of our best and most informative threads come about by us drifting onto other subjects.

PM me for access to the SSAIB members discussion area.

Archived