Security Installer Community

Life Expectancy Of A Pir

Baracus

What would you say is the average life expectancy of a PIR?

The reason I'm asking is Ive a fella looking an Omnicron 8000 panel changed and he is happy to change PIRs too. If I thought he would get another few years out of them id be inclined to leave them until then

The system was fitted in 1994

Depends on the model to be honest. If they are anything like the panel (ie cheap c##p), which they probably are, then they are probably overdue a change.

That said, I have serviced loads of systems with PIR's 20-25 years old still working fine and never causing false alarms, but it was all quality gear back in the day.

Trade Member

Still servicing a few Racal 772's & Ademco 650's + couple of 652's. Never f/a'd.

On the otherhand, if I were upgrading/taking over a system I'd want to know for sure all kit will be reliable. If customer happy to change them, why not change then (to make/model you are confident with)?

Depends on the model to be honest. If they are anything like the panel (ie cheap c##p), which they probably are, then they are probably overdue a change.

That said, I have serviced loads of systems with PIR's 20-25 years old still working fine and never causing false alarms, but it was all quality gear back in the day.

twenty years ago all electronic equipment seemed better quality gear than now, and twenty years ago we were saying how twenty years ago everything was better quality.

It was more solidly made yeah ! but component failures have all but disapeared. unless your count the really poor

chinese ' ebay grade ' stuff.

The radio interference suppression on PIR's of 20 years ago is not suitable for the amount of rfi we experience now. I would change them.

PM me for access to the SSAIB members discussion area.

Ive a few Racal 772s going as well without f/a's and prefer to leave them. The grief you get from the customer....'what about the mess on the wall' , 'where will I get a wallpaper to match'... when the new detector is half the size.

Have you actually checked that the 772s work when they are supposed to?

You could have a party in front of your average 772 without an activation! lol

twenty years ago all electronic equipment seemed better quality gear than now, and twenty years ago we were saying how twenty years ago everything was better quality.

It was more solidly made yeah ! but component failures have all but disapeared. unless your count the really poor

chinese ' ebay grade ' stuff.

So what tele you got then?

Wasnt there a (circ 1980) USSR pilot who defected with his brand new MIG (which at the time outperformed anything else) and when the yanks looked inside all electronices were valves.

Ive a few Racal 772s going as well without f/a's and prefer to leave them. The grief you get from the customer....'what about the mess on the wall' , 'where will I get a wallpaper to match'... when the new detector is half the size.

Fit a CX702...... Sorted

Have you actually checked that the 772s work when they are supposed to?

You could have a party in front of your average 772 without an activation! lol

Yep, they pick up fine, ok, you have to take a step. They're even pet immune if you leave the nicotine over the lens.

Archived