Security Installer Community

Dvr Recommendation Again!

loudevents

you do get what you pay for.

its difficult to recommend a unit from what you say but the remote servicing thing will limit your choices. For example a dm digital sprite will allow all that but the budget will probably be too high.

my own personal opinion is you need to spend more than

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

you do get what you pay for.

its difficult to recommend a unit from what you say but the remote servicing thing will limit your choices. For example a dm digital sprite will allow all that but the budget will probably be too high.

my own personal opinion is you need to spend more than

you will only find (apart from here) reviews on consumer machines. We are working on adding some reviews of pro gear.

as i said before im a fan of the dedicated micros stuff, they do a lower cost unit called an eco 4/9/16 in various hard drive sizes.

Hard drive size is a completly seperate circuit and is like engine sizes in cars. Some machines can get a lot from small drives ie little engines but as with engines (again IMHO) there is no replacement for displacement. But remember proper machines have slightly different drives in em then normal pc's.

You can make an 80 gig drive last a month but you would have to either drop frame rate, increase compression or drop quality...or all 3.

Also there is no current (that i know) std that allows you to compare picture quality on spec alone, i know there are response tables etc but real world tests are needed. I also am not a fan of the current trend of H264 or mpeg machines. mpeg and its variants are fantastic for transmission...as that is what they were designed for. But unless the bandwidth is very high i think the images suffer. I prefer 5 fps of good quality jpgs than 25 fps of mpeg any day.

ig recommend a 320 gig dm eco 9 or one of the samsung techwin 9 way units. But id prefer the dm.

James

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

you will only find (apart from here) reviews on consumer machines. We are working on adding some reviews of pro gear.

as i said before im a fan of the dedicated micros stuff, they do a lower cost unit called an eco 4/9/16 in various hard drive sizes.

Hard drive size is a completly seperate circuit and is like engine sizes in cars. Some machines can get a lot from small drives ie little engines but as with engines (again IMHO) there is no replacement for displacement. But remember proper machines have slightly different drives in em then normal pc's.

You can make an 80 gig drive last a month but you would have to either drop frame rate, increase compression or drop quality...or all 3.

Also there is no current (that i know) std that allows you to compare picture quality on spec alone, i know there are response tables etc but real world tests are needed. I also am not a fan of the current trend of H264 or mpeg machines. mpeg and its variants are fantastic for transmission...as that is what they were designed for. But unless the bandwidth is very high i think the images suffer. I prefer 5 fps of good quality jpgs than 25 fps of mpeg any day.

ig recommend a 320 gig dm eco 9 or one of the samsung techwin 9 way units. But id prefer the dm.

James

I recomend - Samsung DVR's & Axio Digital Recorders - Both are good value for money.

www.samsungcctv.com

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Scott Douglas DVS LTD

www.dvs.co.uk

CCTV Distribution

Ntic jpeg2000 machine 8CH

remote service / programing - you can change settings etc

stream on H264 if you want to or Jpeg2000 bit slower but works well

Records on Jpeg2000

As for siting it in somewhere out of way, why not connect it through their TV Dist with a modulator that way they can view on any TV in house , add Long range IR extenders like pyrmids they can use the IR remote control to playback change views etc easier to use than having to use PC all the time

just my 2p's worth ........

In my opinion, from experience, DM is extremely over priced for what it is and i have had nothing but problems with their SD units. Would recomment Dynamic CCTV or a Concept Pro VXM unit from Videcon, just as many features, fraction of the cost, better after sales and just as reliable from my experience.

Archived