Security Installer Community

Remote Servicing

Ok this might sound like a stupid question but I've only recently started looking into remote servicing. I've been programming most of my panels recently by laptop and as the downloader software I use can be used for remote servicing I took an interest. I think I have a basic understanding of it but am yet to put it into practice. From what I can gather I will need a 56k dial-up modem to connect to the panel tho. Is this right? And is there any way I can connect to the panel via a broadband connection?

Help would be much appreciated

Thanks

you can connect to a panel via broadband but you will need the panel to be connected to the internet too via an ip module.

Not all modems are compatible with all udl software, depends on what panel and what modem and what software you have.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Guest anguscanplay
you can connect to a panel via broadband but you will need the panel to be connected to the internet too via an ip module.

and not all panels have an IP module - correct?

Ahh sorry I jus see what u meant by not all modems are compatible. Ure talking about the Panel Modem right? I did gather that, the software I'm using is only for scantronic and menvier panels.

I'm guessing I can buy any external dial-up modem from ebay or somewhere should do the job nicely tho right?

and not all panels have an IP module - correct?

correct. I have only used galaxy via ip.

Ahh sorry I jus see what u meant by not all modems are compatible. Ure talking about the Panel Modem right? I did gather that, the software I'm using is only for scantronic and menvier panels.

I'm guessing I can buy any external dial-up modem from ebay or somewhere should do the job nicely tho right?

i also use us robotics but different versions are needed for some panels.

You need to contact scantronic for an upto date modem list, or wait for someone (hpotter) that uses scanny udl

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

No mate the modem on your lappy or desktop.

Some modems are not proper modems and wont work.

We know the software is compatible to each manufactures panel.

As james says you might need different modems for each panel manufactures software or you might find one modem that will do all the manufactures you use, in which case happy days.

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

No mate the modem on your lappy or desktop.

Some modems are not proper modems and wont work.

We know the software is compatible to each manufactures panel.

As james says you might need different modems for each panel manufactures software or you might find one modem that will do all the manufactures you use, in which case happy days.

Some manufacturers, eg. Texecom supply a dedicated modem that they know will be compatible

PM me for access to the SSAIB members discussion area.

The problem with selecting a modem for downloading often relates to the panels limitations.

Most panels were designed to understand the "Hayes command set", a modem protocol specifically developed for the Hayes 300 baud Smartmodem. This handled things like dialing, hanging up, and connection parameters, and was generally adopted as "the modem standard".

Hayes did not develop their technology quickly enough and eventually closed down. Other companies took over the modem market and used additional compression methods and command-sets.

This is why some panels require specific modems. This is also the reason that some panels are not always compatible or need different configurations to use the same make of modem work.

A modem that claims it is "Hayes compatible" is often making a subjective statement... This is normally not a downfall on the panels manufacturer, but often a case of them having to choose which modem manufacturer/model to add in terms of the specific modems compression methods and command-sets.

I may be wrong, and I am sure that a panel manufacturer will correct me if I am... :whistle:

Regards

NitroN

Archived