Security Installer Community

Box Making Strange Crackling Noises

ddma

Guest anguscanplay
Please?

We can help with the fault but getting into a public discussion over cost is pointless TBH.

C.

I disagree - if someone was running round the highlands over charging for fire extinguishers you`d want the chance to defend your trade, the O/P asked for advice and he`s been given it namely

get another quote .......................... your thought that the price quoted is extreme is a valid one

I've cut the speaker wire in the bell box and due to lack of funds would like to replace the whole bell box myself if not too difficult. Do I need to power down system completely before wiring up new box, any advice would be great.

Guest anguscanplay
I've cut the speaker wire in the bell box and due to lack of funds would like to replace the whole bell box myself if not to hard. Do power down system completely before wiring up new box, any advice would be great.

its a relativly simple job (well it is to me - LOL) problem is just changing the box might not cure it.

Theres all sorts of potential problems with DIY`ing it, the panel maybe on engineer reset if tampered with for one. An unmarked box isnt considered as good a deterent as a pukka firms one, and if you search the forum you`ll find hundreds (no really - hundreds) of threads asking for help because the poster couldnt get the new box to work.

but if you want to do it then yes power everything down first

its a relativly simple job (well it is to me - LOL) problem is just changing the box might not cure it.

Theres all sorts of potential problems with DIY`ing it, the panel maybe on engineer reset if tampered with for one. An unmarked box isnt considered as good a deterent as a pukka firms one, and if you search the forum you`ll find hundreds (no really - hundreds) of threads asking for help because the poster couldnt get the new box to work.

but if you want to do it then yes power everything down first

As Angus rightly says yes it is a fairly straightforward job if you are reasonably practical but the problem is there could be other reasons for the symptoms you describe and although a faulty bell box is favourite you may actually be spending money on something that isn't needed.

On a positive note the Accenta panel is popular and many bell boxes will be compatible with it and some may even have specific wiring instructions for your particular panel.

Does unfortunatley sound like a faulty siren

tricky ground to condem the siren based on info supplied thus far, lets face it the uni has operated and cut off after 20 mins indicating (to me) the power has been removed initiating SAB operation for what ever reason.

the o/p has disconnected the siren himself, been quoted a price by the original installer to replace the siren, but i'd urge caution here as a comparison - replacing the gearbox on a car to fix a puncture will get nobody any further along the road.

the o/p needs a proper diagnostic service visit by a competant service trained engineer to get acurate advice, that is simple sound advice in itself (with sympathy to, but regardless of his finacial constraints), so with respect why are we discussing this issue any further?

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived