Security Installer Community

Cqr Cequra

djrock

Hello, I have a CQR Cequra which is about 10 years old. 2 weeks ago after having heavy rain the panel came up with a tamper fault. So I thought better check the tamper switch (spray it with switch cleaner) and check the pcb over in the bellbox.

After opening the bellbox up, I saw that the big cap at the top left appears to have vented. (At a guess this cap belongs to the strobe circuit).

IMG_1407.JPG

IMG_1413.jpg

Could it be possible that the bad cap could have caused say a momentarily loss of the tamper return? Looking at the picture again more closely there’s 4 small caps at an angle, which could indicate they have blown there plugs out.

Time for a new bellbox?

Thankyou

djrock

I'd have to agree there, I've seen what happens when caps fail on other devices and it's not worth the grief of it failing at 3 in the morning or worse yet it totally failing when Mr Burglar breaks in. The caps are primarily there to provide either smoothing of the supply or to provide a boost charge to some circuit i.e flasher circuits so it's got enough juice to fire the flash for the mirco second it needs.

Intruder / CCTV / Access Control Technical Support Personal

Subscriber to the "K.I.S.S" principle, that's Keep It Simple Stupid, are you?

Have you had a look behind the PCB Looks like resistor 19 (just above batt terminals and right of relay) has signs of overheating, Id change it to be honest.

I agree, I doubt that the onboard battery has ever been changed and given the other damage you might as well upgrade to something more modern.

Most new sounders are pretty well protected from the elements as well so better all round I reckon.

Hello,

Have you had a look behind the PCB Looks like resistor 19 (just above batt terminals and right of relay) has signs of overheating, Id change it to be honest.

Good find! I can

Yes, it's 500mA in total. Current is usually taken from the hold off suplly, unless set to SCB, where it's taken from the bell box NiCad. We used to fit Texecom Oddyssey 4E and I have never had one draw over 500mA in total. It was always 250mA for the sounder and 110-120mA for the strobe, giving around 360mA in total.

I agree, I doubt that the onboard battery has ever been changed

Or connected at all, if you look close enough!

Trade Member

Hello, So that means unless set to SCB mode or fitting a another psu I am restricted to a bellbox that only draws a max of 500mA.

I think the E version is not very loud compared to others makers where there louder and less power hungry compared to the non E version.

Or connected at all, if you look close enough!

I was wondering when someone would pick that up. No I disconnected it, didn

Guest anguscanplay
Hello, So that means unless set to SCB mode or fitting a another psu I am restricted to a bellbox that only draws a max of 500mA.

not really - remember the figures quoted are for a nominal voltage - real life isnt nominal

Archived