Security Installer Community

Cqr Cequra

djrock

Hello, So that means unless set to SCB mode or fitting a another psu I am restricted to a bellbox that only draws a max of 500mA.

I think the E version is not very loud compared to others makers where there louder and less power hungry compared to the non E version.

It's easier all round to stick to 500mA rather than trying to calculate if your panel can cope with anything over that (in all likelyhood it probably can, but as I say, it needs checking first, it could be even less than 500)

As for bell boxes, my recommendation is for the Novagard 2/4. Standard is single piezo but they are quite loud, louder than the 2 sounder Odysseys in my experience. Properly sealed electronics, LED's and a strobe that you can actually see and look good (IMO)

Stay away from the Belle unless you want tamper faults from it in a few years time, and stay away from the Multibox if you want something that isn't an absolute nightmare to fit (and isn't very good when it's on the wall IMO)

Trade Member

There should never be an argument about this, it's basic ohms law, if voltage increases so does the current.

In practice most sounders will work fine, in general sounders are made to be compatible with most panels.

Personally I like the Odessey and always have but the Novaguard is also very good and popular.

If your talking about how much current the bell box will use, then would it not be the case that if you increase the voltage, the current level would be lower? As a bell box will take so many Watts to run, and the power is measured as the relationship between current and voltage (Power = Volts X Current)

So would not 10 Watts can work out as 1volt time 10 Amps or equally 10Volts times 1amp?

The principal is used on power lines, they are high voltage so less current is required (so voltage drop does not become a major issue) or 100v speaker systems, they output at a high voltage, but low current level so thin wires can be used for the same output level as a lower voltage normal speaker which would require much thicker wires to handle the higher current required at lower voltage levels.

At least thats how I understand things, increase the voltage, less current so thinner wires...

If your talking about how much current the bell box will use, then would it not be the case that if you increase the voltage, the current level would be lower? As a bell box will take so many Watts to run, and the power is measured as the relationship between current and voltage (Power = Volts X Current)

So would not 10 Watts can work out as 1volt time 10 Amps or equally 10Volts times 1amp?

The principal is used on power lines, they are high voltage so less current is required (so voltage drop does not become a major issue) or 100v speaker systems, they output at a high voltage, but low current level so thin wires can be used for the same output level as a lower voltage normal speaker which would require much thicker wires to handle the higher current required at lower voltage levels.

At least thats how I understand things, increase the voltage, less current so thinner wires...

This is where things get a little confused I'm afraid!

It is true to say that if a device needed 50 watts of power to run it could be achieved by either using low voltage with a lower resistance load hence using high current or equally you could use higher votage with a higher resistance load and hence lower current however this doesn't alter the fact that for a resistive load (external sounder eg) the higher the voltage supplied the higher the current the circuit will draw.

Try it for yourself, get a 1k resistor and wire it in series with a 12 volt battery and a multimeter set to measure current.

You should see a reading of approx 12ma (v/r= 12/1000), now double the voltage by addding another battery in series, you will see the current rise to approx 24 ma.

but I bet you get one ......... LOL

And as if by magic.........

To be fair it is a point often argued amongst electricians, Ohms law is simple but the fact that higher voltages are used in PA systems in order to avoid voltage drop adds confusion.

The fact is that power (watts) are dissipated throughout the entire circuit and any increase in voltage or drop in resistance will increase current flow and also increase the dissipated power.

Now, shall we move on to Flemings right hand rule? lol

Guest anguscanplay
And as if by magic.........

To be fair it is a point often argued amongst electricians, Ohms law is simple but the fact that higher voltages are used in PA systems in order to avoid voltage drop adds confusion.

The fact is that power (watts) are dissipated throughout the entire circuit and any increase in voltage or drop in resistance will increase current flow and also increase the dissipated power.

Now, shall we move on to Flemings right hand rule? lol

wasnt me doing the arguing - LOL, like I said a few of us chat about this topic regularly and still havnt got an answer

lets stick to the simple fact that readings on site are always way below the MAX readings given by the manf.

wasnt me doing the arguing - LOL, like I said a few of us chat about this topic regularly and still havnt got an answer

lets stick to the simple fact that readings on site are always way below the MAX readings given by the manf.

lol - No I know it wasn't you Angus but I can imagine it gets debated reguarly, it gets really confusing when you start to imagine what happens when you put a short circuit across a supply. The low resistance causes a rise in current consumption but it can also lower the supply voltage which therefore lowers the current consumed.........

I agree that measured current on site is always lower than quoted and have often wondered why.

I believe (only my theory mind) that it's partly due to the resistance of the wiring which will lower the current drawn, further the sounder is from the panel the less current it will draw.

Guest anguscanplay
I believe (only my theory mind) that it's partly due to the resistance of the wiring which will lower the current drawn, further the sounder is from the panel the less current it will draw.

same kind of thought - the load isnt fixed, and the manfs are quoting at the highest voltage they expect the equipment to recieve

bit like the old car stereo amps - eh James

Archived