Security Installer Community

Alarm Services

Guest pto

We allow an hour normally to service a basic system.

We do check resistances on all double pole systems with a multimeter with cables in situ.

We use the same oriantation of the leads and record them on a service sheet.

Some panels do not obtain a reading so we use the mvolts scale across the zone.

On our Galaxy systems we use the reading from the keypad and do check every zone for at least five seconds as well as the diagnostics because you can get a fluctuation.

We also visit the bell box to remove the cover and change it if it is faded and ensure it is clean.

We used to find a lot of tampers pressed shut on such sirens as ultimas and would stay shut with the cover removed.

These tests are of course carried out with the normal service tests.

Paul

PG Security Systems

Somerset

SSAIB Certificate of Merit Installers.

www.pgsecurity.co.uk

Guest binty69

Well Well Well..... //.National Installer.// strikes again. !!!!!

Having worked in service depts in both n'cle and leicester, i have seen some rogue paperwork going thru, this however, takes the biscuit, his FLM should notice this docket, failing that, whichever member of staff cleared it down should have queried it unless of course it was via IVR !!!

Needless to say, nothing will be done about it and yes the subscriber should def be chasing this up with ihs branch.

This kind of pointless exercise is what gives you "decent" engineers/companies a bad name. Nip it in the bud.

Come on FLM's/Service Managers, play your role !!!!!!

Guest oldtimer

OK guys most probably think I go over the score but here lies my biggest bugbear

the big companies treat the customer as dirt (I should know I used to work for 2 biggies).

The customer would get annoyed when the service engineer turned up late at their house activated the system then made sign a sheet to state that they agreed the system was serviced to BS.

The batteries were never changed circuits never checked so no wonder the customer had little trust in the company or the engineer.

I wish I had a pound every time I compared the current service check sheet to the previous one and found a door contact on high resistance and because I conditioned the customer to get the battery replaced every 5 years there was no "are you trying to rip me off comment".

Also if I said I would be there by 10am. I was never late.

Remember if you want to stand out then you have to go the extra yard.

One last point do you think my service checks comply with BS or does yours

now theres a question

Guest dale

I have to agree with Oldtimer... I get narcked when the customer doesnt offer me any form of drink... I remember last summer fitting a system in a foreign couples house... the heating was on maximum and it was one of the hotest days of the year..... and they never offered me anything to drink!!!! all day!!!! I ended up having to call to the local shop and buy 6 cokes.

NB: On average I drink about 9 cups of tea/coffee a day

I'd do a physical test of the wiring. Pulling them slightly to see if they come away from the panel terminals. more often than not, a wire would come loose. Resistance readings would only happen on a service if the log or the customer mentions an activation since the last service that was unexplained. Even if a callout engineer had visited. A full set/unset then set/activation/unset on the alarm. Obviously done on monitored alarms but I always do audiable only systems too. It's OK servicing them but I sleep better knowing it activates correctly.

Non domestic systems, I have a habit of disabling the LED's on detectors. I saw something a few years ago that convinced me that all alarm systems should have their PIR LED's disabled upon handover. You'd be surprised how many school kids for example, are eyeing up a schools detectors by trying to find areas where they can go that doesn't activate the LED.

Now If I told you that 3 lads aged about 14 managed to pass 3 detectors that were working, with the alarm set, and not only get deep into the school, but then pinch a microwave, would you believe me? Oversight really by the previous installation company who fitted the system.

Tony

ACE.gif

4 points - no mention of the companies envolved as I dont want to stir up the passion of their engineers!!! ;)

1. we estimate 30-45 mins for non-signalling domestic, 1hour plus for commercial/signalling

2. Rightly or wrongly, A well known national company who is known to only give "Arf a Days Training" recently simplified it's service dockets to save the engineer time on services.... :o

3. The same national company mentioned above pays a performance related bonus to FLM's and Service Managers, based on percentage completion...

:rolleyes:

4. They also pay engineers an extra bonus of £3 for signing the inspection... :rolleyes:

TSS

Communication is "A question asked, and an Opinion given." I offer mine to help you with yours.

Statements I make are my personal views only at the time they are posted, if I offend you sorry, must be taken in context and do not neccesarily represent those of my employer.

• 2 weeks later...
A well known national company who is known to only give "Arf a Days Training" 
Hello,

I have worked for a 'few' companies, and have received the best training by far from the cleverly hidden acronym above,

recently simplified it's service dockets to save the engineer time on services....

And that's a bad thing?

4. They also pay engineers an extra bonus of £3 for signing the inspection...

Would you like to clarify please?

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

• 3 weeks later...

I remember engineers working for another company who shall INITIALly remain nameless, who would fill in their service docket walking up the path, post it & jump back in the car!

I went up into the attic...I found a Stradavarius & a Picasso. Unfortunately.....

Stradavarius couldn't paint, and Picasso made a shocking fiddle.

My Facebook page...http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=1279556853&ref=name

Guest Sy278

Well guys I used to work for a small company just on the outskirts of Glasgow, who are nacoss approved, and I was sacked for taking more than 20mins to complete a routine inspection visit, despite the fact one the checks they had on the docket was SAB cut-off, 20 mins there right away! :blink:

and I was sacked for taking more than 20mins to complete a routine inspection visit
Ground for unfair dismissal. I certainly wouldn`t be happy about that.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

Archived