Security Installer Community

Old Batteries

hpotter

We used to put our old batteries in a bin outside the wholesalers for disposal, but they had to bring the bin inside due to theft of the batteries. So being a bit slow, we thought hmmm, money.

I wondered if anyone knew the value of them. We've kept abt a months worth (guessing abt 50) and realise must be down to weight.

I dont want to be driving round trying to flog a couple of knackeed 2.1s. What does everyone else do now.

You know about your duty under the WEEE regs?

CEF take them legally for a fee but don't know of any buyers.

You need a wate carriers licence just to carry old batteries, bulbs and electrical goods in your van.

Yer know about my responsibilities and have always put them in gardiners bin. But if they're getting pinched they must be worth something. Aint bothered about making a mint, but gardiners bin outside was the size of a desk. one inside size of tea chest and always empty.

Off the subject but inkeeping.... Local council fitted couple of hundred meters of railings along the river a month or so ago, n last week theives cut them off n sold for scrap. Hence thoughts abt scrap value.

If no one else knows (abt batts!) I'll ask on our manor and let you know.

take them to your local scrap dealers as you should get about 50p each for 7ah batteries. :D

Trade Member

It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice!!

Martin Hanfo

CCTV - Intruder Alarms - Access Control - Security Lighting - Locks

Covering South Wales

07903 967045

I cant see how you can just take them to a scrap dealer as you need to record where your weee waste is going :unsure:

If we remove anything electrical from site we fill in a waste transfer note and get the client to sign to say we have taken the waste. We then transport it back to the office as we are a registered waste carrier. The waste transfer note has the vehicle registration number on it. When the waste arrives at the office the transfer note is then signed to confirm that the waste has arrived at our office which is a registered waste site. The waste is then placed in the correct bin and when the bins are emtied the collection company issues us with their waste transfer note.

The full process is therefore traceable from leaving the clients site all the way through to the recyling destination !!

All of our transfer notes are numbered and recorded to avoid any waste not arriving back at the office.

We have 2 bins, one for batteries and one for weee waste and we have to pay for both bins, the collection of them and also two fees to the environment agency.

Some scrap dealers can take batteries (legally) and issue receipts so there ends the paper trail.

We all know that metals are fetching high prices now, get um to the scrappy before the slump!!! :yes:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

Archived