Security Installer Community

Reccomendations For Installation Equipment

Hi,

I need some advice on the best small monitor to buy for checking the output of cameras. Is there one that will work with IP as well? I also thought that maybe widening the topic to include the other must have's the experts keep in their toolbox.....

Cable checker? (I use a cheap computer cable checker)

Ratchet crimps? I just use a cheap pair of electric crimps, no problems so far.

Cable break detector, sharpness detector? spare camera?

Thanks for any and all input,

Regards,

Andy

Decent push rods, cable caster (more for fun than anything else) cable reeler (heavy duty folding one from QED)

SEE-SNAKE and the most important of all - a wire coat hanger!

hope this helps...

Hi,

I need some advice on the best small monitor to buy for checking the output of cameras. Is there one that will work with IP as well? I also thought that maybe widening the topic to include the other must have's the experts keep in their toolbox.....

Cable checker? (I use a cheap computer cable checker)

Ratchet crimps? I just use a cheap pair of electric crimps, no problems so far.

Cable break detector, sharpness detector? spare camera?

Thanks for any and all input,

Regards,

Andy

TSS

Communication is "A question asked, and an Opinion given." I offer mine to help you with yours.

Statements I make are my personal views only at the time they are posted, if I offend you sorry, must be taken in context and do not neccesarily represent those of my employer.

Decent push rods, cable caster (more for fun than anything else) cable reeler (heavy duty folding one from QED)

SEE-SNAKE and the most important of all - a wire coat hanger!

hope this helps...

coax stripper is a must for maiing off bnc's :yes:

"If you carry your childhood with you, you never become old. Why rush to end life when happiness is in the blissfulness of childhood innocence."

"We all die, the goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will."

Only problem with coax strippers is they sometimes cut too deep and you end up cutting the braid off, me I just use a very sharp stanley knife very carefully it also depends on the coax cable your stripping some are better to work with than others..

A good screen hmm that's tricky as what may appear fine and dandy on your 4-5-6" test monitor might look bad on the 15/17/19" monitor next to the DVR, I do know a few cameras and domes are now come with a "test" jack so you can plug your test monitor in without having to disconnect the camera from the system, between that and a set of good 2-way radios, 1 with you the other with a mate at the DVR end you setting it so it looks good enough on test monitor asking mate how it looks on DVR works wonders especially if they are at opposite ends of a big site.

IP cameras depends on the camera, I do think some offer a standard video output for a test monitor most don't, Only way I know to test a IP camera is to find out as much about the network it's going into as possible i.e so you can fix the IP address of it and then access it's webpage directly with a laptop and focus it that way.

Oh yeah defo on the wire coat hanger no idea how many times I could have done with one of them to help fish cable through small gaps where there are cables already etc or where cable rods won't fit through.

Intruder / CCTV / Access Control Technical Support Personal

Subscriber to the "K.I.S.S" principle, that's Keep It Simple Stupid, are you?

long length of springy steel, a bit like clockspring stuff, get it at pound shops as pipe and drain cleaner.

you can push it along ander floors, or inside trunking, cavities etc. Probably a bit dodgy if theres mains about, but very useful. and definitely coat hanger wire, usually cadge some from ceiling fitters.

I still like my old computar test monitor. I must have the only one left with the strap still attached. Have had my moneys worth 4 or 5 times over by now. When the battery died, I made one up from rechargeable AA cells, 4 for a quid - pound shop again.

This is a must, and saves stacks of time. I bought one about a couple of years ago and haven't looked back (wish I'd had one as an apprentice, manys a days I sat there stanley knife in hand doing end after end).

You do have to be careful though and check that its not cutting anything it shouldn't.

http://isswww.co.uk/products/Ridgid/SeeSnakeMicro.aspx

Very useful for safe cracking (allegedly)

I WANT ONE OF THEM :yes:

long length of springy steel, a bit like clockspring stuff, get it at pound shops as pipe and drain cleaner.

you can push it along ander floors, or inside trunking, cavities etc. Probably a bit dodgy if theres mains about, but very useful. and definitely coat hanger wire, usually cadge some from ceiling fitters.

I still like my old computar test monitor. I must have the only one left with the strap still attached. Have had my moneys worth 4 or 5 times over by now. When the battery died, I made one up from rechargeable AA cells, 4 for a quid - pound shop again.

I've got two in the van SUBS, both still have the straps. Just got new batteries from Norbain too (

so what up wth toh your gnashers or are you wimp :lol:

apart from a volt stick (or neon lol), stud/cable/pipe finder a decent 24v drill driver with decent perscussion, i use a JCB bought off Ebay cost

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived