Security Installer Community

Call Monitor Over Cat5e

Hi,

Just installed 6 cameras in our new shop. Coaxed to store room and then 2 x cat5e over distance of about 100m to the DVR in my house. I have a perfect picture on all cameras so I am very pleased. However I was rather hoping to send the call monitor signal back down to the shop utilising the spare capacity in the second cat5e cable, which currently only has 2 cameras using it. When I tried it I get a terrible picture with both dark horizontal bars and vertical interference. Is it not possible to send a signal both ways over cat5e or could it be due to signal strength coming out of my DVR for the call monitor signal?

Would be grateful for any advice. :cry::unsure:

id say no then it should be fine, this call monitor, it a split screen view?

No, single screen. Perhaps I will try tomorrow sending the signal down one cable with the cameras unplugged from that set of baluns just to see. Or possibly down one of the pairs that I know are working fine with a camera.

No, single screen. Perhaps I will try tomorrow sending the signal down one cable with the cameras unplugged from that set of baluns just to see. Or possibly down one of the pairs that I know are working fine with a camera.

I have tried bringing the call monitor to the DVR just to check the call output, the picture is fine then.

It may be that you have a broken or damaged cable or two pairs are mixed up (if you have not used pre-moulded leads)

I would suggest you send the signal you are having problems with down that balun port that you know is ok by swapping it over with the one currently giving good results. (as you have indicated you said you would try)

After swapping the signal over if you still get a bad picture it may be that the DVR Call-output is low, if this is the case I would stick an analogue video amplifier on the

System Q Ltd.

Hi,

Just installed 6 cameras in our new shop. Coaxed to store room and then 2 x cat5e over distance of about 100m to the DVR in my house. I have a perfect picture on all cameras so I am very pleased. However I was rather hoping to send the call monitor signal back down to the shop utilising the spare capacity in the second cat5e cable, which currently only has 2 cameras using it. When I tried it I get a terrible picture with both dark horizontal bars and vertical interference. Is it not possible to send a signal both ways over cat5e or could it be due to signal strength coming out of my DVR for the call monitor signal?

Would be grateful for any advice. :cry::unsure:

You cannot send the signal both ways down the same cat 5. If you speak to NVT tech. they will offer a solution.

You cannot send the signal both ways down the same cat 5. If you speak to NVT tech. they will offer a solution.

I couldn't seem to resolve this over cat5e cable. I tried unplugging all cameras using the cable in question, and just sending the call monitor, with no luck. But sending the signal to my existing shop over rg59 is perfect. The distance between the "old" shop and the "new" shop is only 20 metres, so my intention is to just extend the coax. Fortunately we had the forsight to lay ducting so not really an issue :rolleyes::P .

Thanks anyway for your comments.

Regards

Rich

You can send video in both directions on the same cat5, there is a distance limitation however but 100mtrs shouldnt be a problem. Ive personally managed to send a monitor out back up a 50 pair over 300mtrs, even NVT's web site states it should be fine. The following quote is lifted from NVT's learning centre..................

Can video signals be sent in opposite directions within the same wire bundle?

Yes, however, due to near-end crosstalk, there are distance limitations. When using Category 2 or 3 wire, do not send video in opposite directions within the same wire bundle more than 1000

I agree with ian.cant

I have sent 15 camera signals down 4 cat5 cables in one direction and a return monitor feed on the spare channel via a 16 channel passive hub to another 16 channel passive hub over 200m.

That worked absolutely fine.

You may find a problem with interference when using active to active or passive to active within the same cat5 but not on passive to passive. Check connections and use an existing good video position to check the call monitor.

Kind regards

Stuart Onley

SAMS Consultancy

Independent Security Consultants

email:enquiries@samsconsultancy.co.uk

Archived