Security Installer Community

Call Monitor Over Cat5e

I agree with ian.cant

I have sent 15 camera signals down 4 cat5 cables in one direction and a return monitor feed on the spare channel via a 16 channel passive hub to another 16 channel passive hub over 200m.

That worked absolutely fine.

You may find a problem with interference when using active to active or passive to active within the same cat5 but not on passive to passive. Check connections and use an existing good video position to check the call monitor.

My situation was interference and it was with a passive to an active hub. So I was wrong to say you can't send signals both ways down the same cat5. But it was fine after using one of NVT's active hubs.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a similar issue. I think it is a cross talk issue. It is basically where the signal of one camera on one pair jumps over and bleeds into the other pairs. You will get every answer you want to hear from suppliers. Some swear you can send 4 cameras over one cat5e (and yes I have done it) and some say no, although in theory it works it doesnt work as well as it should.

I had the exact same problem on a site recently, I was so annoyed I didnt just stick to RG59 but the cables are pulled now!! I used ground loops and they helped but some days it was worse than others..

Dont forget when it comes to RG59 and Cat5e all cables are not the same. There is cheap chinese cable out there that is worse than others and there are good and excellent brands. When using Cat5e try not to go for the cheapest cr*p as usually there is only a couple of Euro or for ye quid in the difference...

If Possible in this situaton maybe look into sending the call monitor back to the shop with an RCL wireless unit, if there arent buildings in the way. Other wise try sending the 2 cams down one cat 5 and use the other cat 5 just for the call monitor. You may still have a problem though...

Sorry couldnt be more help..

Ah just remembered, if your sending the call monitor back from another building you may suffer from differential earth problems.. Your call monitor is going to be on a different electrical and probably a different earth to your DVR, Ive seen this cause issues too.. Maybe look into ground loop isolator too...

Eoghan O'Flaherty

Fusion Networks

Southern Ireland

info@fusionnetworks.ie

VOICE VIDEO DATA NETWORKS

unless your using cheap and nasty baluns they will have loop isolation built in. We have every succesfully filled a few cat 5's on NVT gear, but then we dont use cheap cr*p maybe thats why some sites are ok ant others arnt?

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Archived