Security Installer Community

Driving Time Limits On Call

I worked for a large national company and their way round was to have 2 engineers on call one whose call out duty it was and got paid as such and second engineer as back up who only got paid for when he was used. Min callout 3hrs

Peter Robinson

Freelance

M:07889038650

remember on the 1st two points it's the average but I'm not sure how many days the average is taken over it could be 30, 60, 90 days etc so you can still do 72+hr weeks legally.

And the whole system is opt out at emplyees choice too.

From our involvement with T&A. EWTD is usually, but not exclusively, taken as an average over 17 weeks..

Reading an article yesterday regarding lorry drivers. Seems they are limited to 56 hours/week with stipulations for relevant break periods and rests etc.

Whilst an employer would be stuffed if forced you to drive whilst unfit.

Likewise, dibble would take a very dim view if you drove knowingly unfit to do so through lack of sleep/rest.

I remember a bloke on my old firm looked into this as he was totally knackered while on call.

He found out (Several years ago) that security industry employees were exempt from some of the regulations?

I don't know if that's still the case....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

I remember a bloke on my old firm looked into this as he was totally knackered while on call.

He found out (Several years ago) that security industry employees were exempt from some of the regulations?

I don't know if that's still the case....

Corporate Manslaughter.

But ok if on call to silence a domestic bell.???

Don't think so.

Corporate Manslaughter.

But ok if on call to silence a domestic bell.???

Don't think so.

It wouldn't be corporate anything if there were exceptions in the regulations would it?

I know this bloke was really trying to find a way round it as on this firm we had to do a whole week on call, when there were lots of resets the hours clocked up.....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

AFAIK the driving regs ie hours in a vehicle dont apply the same as say a truck driver. Also you used to be able to sign away some of your rights under the working time directive. You can no longer do this and we have to comply with the working time directive. Dave's post about 11 hours rest per day is righ but i dont think it needs to be 11 hours straight. They have to factor in people on call as well as us ie doctors

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

I love my job , but my company really don't seem to give a S****

Any body got any comments?

Quite simply, your responsible for your own Health & Safety. So is your employer, but he cannot possibly know how tired you are after working all day, doing a couple of calls, going to bed, being woken up for another call etc.

If your too tired, you don't go on a call.

A call after midnight should mean a delayed start in the morning. You need 8 hours sleep.

As above, You have the right to 11 hours rest each day.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

A call after midnight should mean a delayed start in the morning. You need 8 hours sleep.

As above, You have the right to 11 hours rest each day.

at work tomorrow?

if so should you really be posting on the internet at gone midnight as you need your 8hrs beauty sleep?

De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da. De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da

It wouldn't be corporate anything if there were exceptions in the regulations would it?

I know this bloke was really trying to find a way round it as on this firm we had to do a whole week on call, when there were lots of resets the hours clocked up.....

Of course it would.

you insist on engineers driving whilst knowing they are potentially unfit to drive. Heaven forbid there is an accident but someones //.B.W.F.// will be in a sling.

Archived