Security Installer Community

Driving Time Limits On Call

AFAIK the driving regs ie hours in a vehicle dont apply the same as say a truck driver. Also you used to be able to sign away some of your rights under the working time directive. You can no longer do this and we have to comply with the working time directive. Dave's post about 11 hours rest per day is righ but i dont think it needs to be 11 hours straight. They have to factor in people on call as well as us ie doctors

Trucks was used as an example James.

No, you don't have to have 11 hours straight rest, it can be broken into segments.

Of course it would.

you insist on engineers driving whilst knowing they are potentially unfit to drive. Heaven forbid there is an accident but someones //.B.W.F.// will be in a sling.

If you drove a vehicle for say 3 hours and 59 minutes and the regulations say you can drive for four hours without a break, any accident within the four hours would not be "corporate" as the regulation had been satisfied.

That's pretty clear isin't it?

:ninja:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

If you drove a vehicle for say 3 hours and 59 minutes and the regulations say you can drive for four hours without a break, any accident within the four hours would not be "corporate" as the regulation had been satisfied.

That's pretty clear isin't it?

:ninja:

does your alarm van / alarm car have a tacho graph :no:

De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da. De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da

does your alarm van / alarm car have a tacho graph :no:

I think you missed the point I was making, the responsibility was the point in question, if you act within the regulations then in this case an accident would not be corporate responsibility but personal responsibility as you drove when to tired to be in full control of a vehicle. (Your own choice)

If the regulations said four hours then a break *but* your employer asked you to drive *more* then the regulation four hours then the responsibility *could* be corporate.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Amateur Radio Forum

great advice.......

If the regulations said four hours then a break *but* your employer asked you to drive *more* then the regulation four hours then the responsibility *could* be corporate.

however the driving time regs apply to lorrys & busses of ceritan weights & seat no's, this is enforced by the requiremnt of these types of vechiles being fitted with a tachograph, also the rules for the tacho graph are quite complex

as for the 11 hours rest a day you get a break if you work more than 6 hours, say min of 30 min lunch 2 x 15 min break so you can work 14hrs a day if you wished

also define "rest" does it mean if you been on the internet playing poker, or wall papering the sitting room the night before your breaking the law cause your not rested :rolleyes:

De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da. De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da

great advice.......

however the driving time regs apply to lorrys & busses of ceritan weights & seat no's, this is enforced by the requiremnt of these types of vechiles being fitted with a tachograph, also the rules for the tacho graph are quite complex

as for the 11 hours rest a day you get a break if you work more than 6 hours, say min of 30 min lunch 2 x 15 min break so you can work 14hrs a day if you wished

also define "rest" does it mean if you been on the internet playing poker, or wall papering the sitting room the night before your breaking the law cause your not rested :rolleyes:

It was an example not advice! :P

My Amateur Radio Forum

Guest Cerberus NI
most reasonable firms will have some form of "self check..." to prevent this from happening I`m sure.

i need to get me some staff - I`ve just done 408 days on call without a break LOL

Wimp - been on call since July 2006!Even when on hols (two weeks outta the country) I was primary!

Guest Cerberus NI

There's a thing called recovery time - whatever way it works out you're entitled to start late every hour worked after midnight (so if you get a call that hasn't you finished until 2am then you aren't at your first call untill 10:30am (for the 8:30 starters out there!)

Archived