Security Installer Community

How Am I Doing So Far?

rushal

Hi all,

Just a bit of advice needed before I start installing.......

I've just purchased a MDT Avanti xp plus control panel and keypad which I intend to install myself. Have been working in electronics for 15 years so I feel i have the nessacary skills to install this myself.

The first thing im going to do is read the manual then re-read it to make sure I understand everything. I understand the logic behind EOL after many hours of surfing the internet and looking through the forums on here, along with other methods of installation.

The house is a new build with all the wiring already installed and a spur under the stairs so most of the hard work has been done for me.

However, after reading so many recommendations on which PIR's and Bell Boxes to go for, I think I have settled on the following:

Napco Dual tech motion sensor (Pet Friendly) x 3

Gardsound 2 dual Piezo Internal Sounder

RISCO Novagard 6 Bell Box

Could someone confirm that the above will be ok along side the Avanti control panel which has the option of Normally closed or fully supervised using EOLR cabling. I understand that the Napco's may not be EOL, but from what I've read this shouldn't be a problem with the control panel. The reason for the Pet Friendly PIR's is that we have 2 cats who will occupy the hall and landing during the night, although the other 2 won't really be needed as Pet PIR's as the cats won't be in the front room or kitchen over night, but the PIR's are being bought as a bundle. However, the dual tech side of it will be useful as the front room has double patio doors and the hall will be looking towards the front door. I also understand the relevance of adjusting the MW side of it to stop false alarms especially in the hall.

So its over to you to either beat me down with my suggestions or praise me with my choices, lol!

cheers

Not a bad choice, the nova 6 is a good unit, as you can see in my avi i use it. Napco ain't bad either, used to use loads of them, not anymore though. I now use the rokonet[risco] iwise, and sometimes the pyronix kd range with the blue LEDs.

They will all work with the avanti [which is your only bad choice imo], they are ok, ish.

ps: fit jumper 2 on your bell box and it will give it a more original sound.

The Avanti is a reasonable panel for the coin. I fitted a few for a company not long after they came out. As long as you go for the metal panel and not the plastic one, they are'nt too bad and easy enough to program. The keypads do feel very cheap and flimsy though.

The Napco dual techs are/were among the best (not easilly available over here now) in my opinion, although they are quite slow to react to movement alot of the time, and it's likely the pet model is even slower, although I have to admit I have never fitted the pet version myself. You could have a look at the Visonic and Rokonet pet immune PIRs/Dual Techs aswell. Both are fine in my experience.

Trade Member

The house is a new build with all the wiring already installed and a spur under the stairs so most of the hard work has been done for me.

this spur is not connected to anything, is it ?

also take the internal sounder out of the panel and put it somewhere else, away from the panel. this way it does not point the way to the panel...cause if someone gets to the panel then most alarms are easily disabled.

Kevin Scott. Owner of KK Alarms...... Installation .. Service .. Repair ...... Thoughout.. Northumberland and North Tyneside ..... Tel:01670 361948 (call diverted after 15 seconds) or 07947444114

Just one question before i start.

I have found the bundle of 5 (8 core) wires along with the spur under the stairs, and I can see where the pir's go along with the wires, but I really don't know where to start looking for the 5th wire for the bell box.

As i said, the house is a new build with all the wiring done, but where would the most likely place be for the 5th wire for the bell box? Loft? Stud wall? Under floorboards? I haven't been up in the loft yet but one presumes thats where it will be.

kka: Nope, its an unused spur situated next to the wire bundle.

Does your house have an apex? If so, I would imagine the builders have left the cable coiled up in the loft somewhere. I have second fixed a couple of new builds where the builders left the external bell wire coiled up inside a small blank patress box screwed to the wall outside.

Trade Member

Does your house have an apex? If so, I would imagine the builders have left the cable coiled up in the loft somewhere. I have second fixed a couple of new builds where the builders left the external bell wire coiled up inside a small blank patress box screwed to the wall outside.

Probably in the attic, that would be the favourite.

Nope, no Apex so my guess is the loft which brings me onto antoher question for you pro's.

If the wire is in the loft, how would you bring it out to the bell box so that it is invisible, bearing in mind the alarm will be around 4 -6 bricks below the guttering? There are no barge boards, soffits or fascia boards here, just the guttering screwed to the wall directly.

Archived