Security Installer Community

How Am I Doing So Far?

rushal

I knew it wouldn't be long before the questions start coming:

I've read and re-read the installation guide for both the Napco's and the avanti. I'm 99% certain on how to set up EOL accept im a little lost as the diagrams are a little confusing:

NAPCO

In the instructions it shows 6 screw terminals (1 - Power +, 2- Power -, 3 - NC, 4 - C, 5 - NO, 6 - Trouble) along with 2 other screw terminals (7 & 8 Tamper)

I understand where the resistors are positioned (across 3 & 4 and 4 & 6) but theres no mention of 7 & 8 anywhere other than this is the Tamper circuit, which connects to the control panel (I presume).

Fine so far but:

Avanti

In these instructions, the connections are virtually identical accept in there diagram they show one of the resistors across the Tamper circuit, so basically there showing (1 - Power +, 2 - Power -, 3 & 4 - Alarm, 5 & 6 - Tamper) with one resistor across (3 & 4) and the other across (4 & 5)

Im confused as to where to put the resistors now. I think what is confusing me a little is screw terminals (5 & 6) on the Napco's as obviously there's no mentioning of this in the Avanti manual.

Can anyone clear up the confusion,

cheers

(P.S. Connected the keypad to the control panel this morning, connected the battery and it all sprung to life, so its a worker )

NAPCO

In the instructions it shows 6 screw terminals (1 - Power +, 2- Power -, 3 - NC, 4 - C, 5 - NO, 6 - Trouble) along with 2 other screw terminals (7 & 8 Tamper)

I understand where the resistors are positioned (across 3 & 4 and 4 & 6) but theres no mention of 7 & 8 anywhere other than this is the Tamper circuit, which connects to the control panel (I presume).

The napco offers normally open relay option which is unusual you dont need NO or Trouble put resistors across 3&4 and 4&7, two wires from panel connected to 3 and 8.

Thanks topalarms.

I did think along those lines also, by combing the two diagrams, so I would have been right then.

Now all I gotta do is figure out the bell box and I'll be ready to install, ya.

Setting it all up before actually installing is the best way to learn and rectify your mistakes, and is actually quite fun.

Right, all the PIR's are now connected along with the keypad.

However, im a little confused with the instructions regarding the connection of the keypad to the control panel.

On the control panel I have the following screw terminals:

1 & 2 - PTS, 3 - 13v, 4 - 0v, 5 - SOUND, 6 - COMM, 7 & 8 - TAMPER (at present there is a link in there)

On the keypad I have:

1 - 13v, 2 - 0v, 3 - SOUND, 4 - COMM, 5 & 6 - TAMPER (at present not linked or connected to panel)

As im using EOL, do I need to fit a resistor in the keypad? If so over which screw terminals? Then which connections do I make to the control panel?

I've applied power to the control panel (via battery to test it) and I hear the sounder on the keypad (alarm condition) which I silence by entering the code. After this the keypad is showing 'TAMPER' as obviously I haven't connected this circuit yet as I don't have install instructions for the keypad and the instructions for the control panel aren't exactly clear.

In the panel instructions it does show a connection between screw terminals 4 & 8 but doesn't explain anything else with regards to this. Im not using screw terminals 1 & 2 - PTS so one presumes I just leave it open.

Thanks

Just a quick update.

I managed to get an installation guide for the keypad, and according to that all you do is connect screw terminal's 7 & 8 on the control panel to screw terminals 5 & 6 on the keypad. I've been told I don't need a resistor in the keypad, but if anyone knows any different then I'd be pleased to here.

When I boot the system up now, I still got the 'TAMPER' fault but when I switch of the 'Bell Tamper' (see below) this then goes away and I have a working panel. I've so far set up the easy things, EOLR, TIME & DATE etc etc and have done a zone test which showed all PIR's working correctly, next I will move onto setting up the zones tonight.

I haven't connected up the Bell Box yet as I want to run the system for a week or so to ensure everything is working and set up right. Once Im happy with this side of things then I'll connect up the Bell Box. When I come to install the Bell Box will I need a resistor in there or am I thinking along the wrong lines, and only the PIR's need a resistor?

The instructions I do have only mention global Tamper where basically all the PIR's are in a chain, so hopefully I have done things correctly with regards to the EOL side of things which involved connecting one side of the zone to the PIR, through the resistors then back to the other side of the zone, unless of course anyone tells me different.

Will keep you updated as things progress until the day it all goes live, then I'll get to know the neighbours im sure :lol:

Archived