Security Installer Community

Veritas R8 Battery

Following a power cut my veritas r8 system buzzed and now fails to operate, with a few red lights showing and one flashing. 9 year old system, someone told me to check the battery - did not know it had one!! How do I check/replace the battery safely.

Following a power cut my veritas r8 system buzzed and now fails to operate, with a few red lights showing and one flashing. 9 year old system, someone told me to check the battery - did not know it had one!! How do I check/replace the battery safely.

If the system is 9 years old and has never had a repalcement battery it will certainly need one.

Isolate the panel from the mains (there are dangerous voltages present within the panel)

Take the cover off the end station, this is the white plastic box measuring about 12" by 9" in old money.

Remove old battery by disconnecting the two spade connectors, replace with battery of same voltage/capacity, replace panel cover.

Re-connect mains. You will have to enter your user code followed by reset.

Warning!! It is possible that the installer programmed the system for engineer reset on tamper and locked the engineer code in which case you will not be able to use the system until an engineer has reset it.

Warning! If after following the above the mains light continues to flash check the mains fuse within the contro unit, early R8s were prone to fuse failure in my experince and if you have a dodgy battery the mains fuse is loaded more heavily than normal as the panel struggles to try to charge the battery.

Hope this helps.

If the system is 9 years old and has never had a repalcement battery it will certainly need one.

Isolate the panel from the mains (there are dangerous voltages present within the panel)

Take the cover off the end station, this is the white plastic box measuring about 12" by 9" in old money.

Remove old battery by disconnecting the two spade connectors, replace with battery of same voltage/capacity, replace panel cover.

Re-connect mains. You will have to enter your user code followed by reset.

Warning!! It is possible that the installer programmed the system for engineer reset on tamper and locked the engineer code in which case you will not be able to use the system until an engineer has reset it.

Warning! If after following the above the mains light continues to flash check the mains fuse within the contro unit, early R8s were prone to fuse failure in my experince and if you have a dodgy battery the mains fuse is loaded more heavily than normal as the panel struggles to try to charge the battery.

Hope this helps.

I advise you unless you are qualified to deal with this to ignore the information you have just been given as there is high voltages present within the panel and can be extremely dangerous to you. My advice would be to get a local company to look at it as no one has serviced it for the 9yrs. Also information as to tell people to isolate 240v in there panel shouldnt be given on the site

lee

Lee Sutton

E-Mail: leesutton@centurianfire.co.uk

Phone: 0845 094 9870

CENTURIAN FIRE & SECURITY (part of centurian group limited)

I thought he gave quite a thorough reponse..including warnings about dangerous voltages and programming problems.

I thought he gave quite a thorough reponse..including warnings about dangerous voltages and programming problems.

Thanks FastCar, so did I!!

If I have broken any forum rules I apologise unreservedyl, I am a new member and always try to offer advice responsibly.

I am sure I have seen other more experinced members offer advice as to battery changes and given that the R8 comes (or did come) with very comprehensive DIY instructions I cannot really see what the problem is.

I advise you unless you are qualified to deal with this to ignore the information you have just been given as there is high voltages present within the panel and can be extremely dangerous to you. My advice would be to get a local company to look at it as no one has serviced it for the 9yrs. Also information as to tell people to isolate 240v in there panel shouldnt be given on the sitelee

Lee, I have just re-read the forum rules and I can find no rule which prevents posters from advising people to isolate mains before working on their panel.

As an experinced engineer you must surely know that it is imperative that the panel is made safe before opening it. Your advice would suggest that the OP should not isolate the mains and that to do so is harmful in some way.

Are you stating that there is a forum rule which prevents advice re: mains isolation or are your comments simply your opinion?

If you are simply stating an opinion I think you should make that clear to avoid confusion to both me and any other readers who may well be under the impression that they should in fact work on their panels live.

what going on here then ? :unsure: thought the information was on, 'how to change a battery'.

Kevin Scott. Owner of KK Alarms...... Installation .. Service .. Repair ...... Thoughout.. Northumberland and North Tyneside ..... Tel:01670 361948 (call diverted after 15 seconds) or 07947444114

what going on here then ? :unsure: thought the information was on, 'how to change a battery'.

youve hit the nail on the head kka :smash::P thats exactly what i was wondering.

"If you carry your childhood with you, you never become old. Why rush to end life when happiness is in the blissfulness of childhood innocence."

"We all die, the goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will."

Guest anguscanplay

I think Lee had just opened his credit card bill !!!!!

Archived