Security Installer Community

Electrical Spur To Galaxy

angus you let me down, thought we would of had a good reply statiing the regs.....never mind....

just out of curiousity, Lawandorder, why would you bypass extra proctection by connection on the 'non proctected side.......?

RCD protection is really designed to protect against electric shock whilst using portable appliances and there is no real need to have that additional protection with fixed appliances.

RCDs are great but they often trip spuriously and even something as innocent as steam from a kettle getting into a plug can cause the RCD to trip.

Not good news for an alarm system particuarly if the customer hasn't realised that it has tripped.

We will have less choice under the new 17th edition because all cables buried less tan 50mm from the surface will have to be protected by an RCD or RCBO, even lighting circuits!

RCD protection is really designed to protect against electric shock whilst using portable appliances and there is no real need to have that additional protection with fixed appliances.

RCDs are great but they often trip spuriously and even something as innocent as steam from a kettle getting into a plug can cause the RCD to trip.

Not good news for an alarm system particuarly if the customer hasn't realised that it has tripped.

We will have less choice under the new 17th edition because all cables buried less tan 50mm from the surface will have to be protected by an RCD or RCBO, even lighting circuits!

not if the cable is in earthed steel conduit or in trunking to the spur and panel :whistle: then an mcb can be used

"If you carry your childhood with you, you never become old. Why rush to end life when happiness is in the blissfulness of childhood innocence."

"We all die, the goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will."

not if the cable is in earthed steel conduit or in trunking to the spur and panel :whistle: then an mcb can be used

Yes which is why I said buried less than 50mm from the surface.

You are right, earthed steel will avoid the need for RCD proetection in the same way that cables in earthed steel conduit can be run outside of safe zones under current regs.

Even surface clipped cables don't need RCD protection under 17th but if they're buried they do. (if there is no mechanical protection)

It's to stop people from potential shock from nailing/drilling a cable.

I think it's also a regulation sponsored by the makers of RCBOs who are about to double their trade!!

say the rcd cuts out while the homeowner is on holiday and thats where the alarm feed comes from, whats going to happen, the battery will die due to no charging current, the bellbox will sound and the neighbours will either call the police as a noise nuisance or may try and get to the bell to shut the thing up....... RCD on ANY Sensitive equipment is not a good idea in my opinion... MCB :yes: RCD :no:

Exactly the reason I always provide a dedicated supply for an Intruder Alarm. More and more people theses days are asking for outside sockets for the likes of Xmas trees, ponds etc. All someone has to do to trip the Sockets is obvious, and no access to the house at that stage is needed.

I think it's also a regulation sponsored by the makers of RCBOs who are about to double their trade!!

Just like the "lets earth everything metal" reg sponsored by earth clamps ;)

Exactly the reason I always provide a dedicated supply for an Intruder Alarm. More and more people theses days are asking for outside sockets for the likes of Xmas trees, ponds etc. All someone has to do to trip the Sockets is obvious, and no access to the house at that stage is needed.

Just like the "lets earth everything metal" reg sponsored by earth clamps ;)

Thankyou for saying that BARACUS

"If you carry your childhood with you, you never become old. Why rush to end life when happiness is in the blissfulness of childhood innocence."

"We all die, the goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will."

Busy running 100s of metres of mains cable back to the CU for no reason.

Not neccesssarily you may be able to put the panel by the c/u if its in the garage for example or close proximity

Archived