Security Installer Community

Alarm Suggestion?

Hello!

My first post.

I've been reading this forum for quite a while. I've just moved into my new house and I'm looking at security.

We don't live in the best area and I want to keep my motorbike safe and thought it would be a good idea trying to link it into the house alarm considering I'm looking at that too.

I've just bought a motorbike garage (big metal box) but it has a few weakneses which will be really expensive to modify (welding, steel etc etc).

My idea is to fit both a PIR or Door contact along with a Shock sensor inside the garage. Since the bike is located ouside of the house (obviously) but will only a foot away from our rear wall so I like the idea of wireless as wired would mean briding a connection which could be easily vandalized.

So my questions?

I know theres alot of opinions about wires/wiresless and I don't want to run into a debate, but what would be the best way of attaching this "shed" into the house alarm without the obvious "cable bridge" - I can't put it touching the house and that'll cause damp etc.

From what I've read, home alarm PIRs don't work great outside - I guess heat/moisture etc (I don't know?) - what do you recommend - I like the idea of the PIR as if they decided to cut a hole into the side of the shed, the door contact switch won't me much use.

I really like the idea of the shock detector as it'll detect a sledge hammer etc or someone trying brute force to get inside - do these work very well? My work (Bank) has these attached to the internal shutters.

(P.s. I've studied the physical security for a while now, I have the bike alarmed/immobolised, bike lock, anchored, etc - but I need a way of linking this into the house system)

We're completely gutting the house, so now would be the time to run wires etc around, but since we're only planning to stay there a few years, I like the idea of being able to remove the alarm and use it as a temp system in the "new" house whilst we asses advances in technology etc.

Can anyone suggest a system that would allow me to do what I need? I'm not loaded, but I don't mind spending what I need if it's the right product.

Thanks for reading!

Alex

Wireless probably wont work through a big metal box.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Hello, What type of bike lock do you have?

If you want a very good chain get one made by Almax, which can’t be bolt cropped by hand. Seems some of the big makers that are sold secure gold can be in well under 5 mins. Some are in seconds.

You want them to really work hard to try and steal it. So the longer you make them stay around trying to steal it the more chances they will get caught or just leave.

djrock

Get an expander to fit on to your existing system so then you can program the wireless kit you need to your existing system.

lee

Lee Sutton

E-Mail: leesutton@centurianfire.co.uk

Phone: 0845 094 9870

CENTURIAN FIRE & SECURITY (part of centurian group limited)

the whole idea is to deter, if that don't work then delay long enough so they give up, i'd advise even with all the electronic defense's still chain the bike inside the bike house and have it data tagged.

idea's can be posed depending on if you bike house can be accessed by normal public or usual postmen etc.

1st off how about a security light with a chime attached (like a baby alarm) sold in City Electrical Factors, called an 'Audio Lamp 500' around the

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Alan + lee

Thanks for your reply.

The house doesn't have any alarm system at the moment so this is the time to plan it from the ground up.

Although the box isn't accessable by the postman, it is if he wants to scale a 6 ft wall =)

I've fitted two security lights in the "garden" - by IQ which use a wireless transmitter plugged into a reciver that's wired into a 4-way gang extention lead... the idea is that when the lights trigger, what ever is plugged into the extention socket is activated (radio, buzzer, lamp, TV etc).

I didn't think of putting the wireless transmitter on the exterior of the box in a high-rated IP box - that's def. something that'll I'll read into! (thanks).

As for the metal conduit - again, I've been toying with that idea too - I like the idea of solid wires vs wireless but it'll depend on pratical.

I'll update the topic when I've thought of the pysical connection - I like the idea of placing a sound bomb in the box as in such a confined area it'll be unbareable - or so I hope.

Alan + lee

Thanks for your reply.

The house doesn't have any alarm system at the moment so this is the time to plan it from the ground up.

Although the box isn't accessable by the postman, it is if he wants to scale a 6 ft wall =)

I've fitted two security lights in the "garden" - by IQ which use a wireless transmitter plugged into a reciver that's wired into a 4-way gang extention lead... the idea is that when the lights trigger, what ever is plugged into the extention socket is activated (radio, buzzer, lamp, TV etc).

I didn't think of putting the wireless transmitter on the exterior of the box in a high-rated IP box - that's def. something that'll I'll read into! (thanks).

As for the metal conduit - again, I've been toying with that idea too - I like the idea of solid wires vs wireless but it'll depend on pratical.

I'll update the topic when I've thought of the pysical connection - I like the idea of placing a sound bomb in the box as in such a confined area it'll be unbareable - or so I hope.

many moons ago, a good mate of mine wanted to stop his much younger brother from sneaking into his bedroom cupboard and messing with his possessions, so i rigged one of the smaller (2 pietzo's) one's up to a 9v battery and micro switch - eye watering i would describe the noise as. then another day i rigged up with 4 pietzo's and booby trapped my mates bedroom door without telling him while i was 'using the loo', apparently later after i had left he went to bed and had everyone running around in circles :lol:

well, what are mates for :rolleyes:

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived