Security Installer Community

A Question.... Would This Work?

helimatt

A question....

If I had 1) a network / internet ready DVR

2) one of these new wireless broadband usb dongles - inserted where a router would normally go

3) and a static assosciated IP address

...Would I, hyperthetically, be able to stick the DVR in a remote location and access it over the internet??

Many thanks in advance for your feedback

Matthew

A question....

2) one of these new wireless broadband usb dongles - inserted where a router would normally go

...Would I, hyperthetically, be able to stick the DVR in a remote location and access it over the internet??

Matthew

I think what you need is a wireless access point with a RJ45 connector on it.

I don't know if you can get them or who would supply one though.

You would need the DVR within range of a wireless access point for this to work.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

A question....

Matthew

Simply, NO.

Well, to be more precise, almost certainly not.

Those USB devices are designed to work with a PC and need drivers and software running on the PC under presumably XP or Vista to make them function. The USB device itself is little more than an aerial.

Not to mention that a router has a very different type of physical connection......

Forget an access point -what im trying to achieve is a DVR that I can hook upto a battery and throw in the middle of a field somewhere and be able to hit it via the net....

I accept the point that the USB dongle is just that, and it would need software running it on a pc.... SO, that said, what about if I were to run DVR sorftware on a laptop and get it online with one of those dongles + software.

Surely that would work. ???

Matt

Forget an access point -what im trying to achieve is a DVR that I can hook upto a battery and throw in the middle of a field somewhere and be able to hit it via the net....

I accept the point that the USB dongle is just that, and it would need software running it on a pc.... SO, that said, what about if I were to run DVR sorftware on a laptop and get it online with one of those dongles + software.

Surely that would work. ???

Matt

http://www.teleadapt.com/deskhubwireless.php

TA-6410

DeskBridge

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Amateur Radio Forum

No, that's not what he wanted as it depends on a larger network infrastructure in the building.

In theory the USB, laptop, DVR & battery approach could work if you had the right kit and knew what you were doing.

BUT there's a thread on here somewhere (currently active) where someone is trying to connect a PC directly to a DVR and not having much luck.......

There must be a better way - ask Dr John? :ninja:

I thought he wanted a DVR to work wirelesly using a dongle on USB, most DVR's have a RJ45 network connector not a USB for networking.

As I understand it he wants a DVR wirelesly on the internet, to do that he needs it to be within range of a WAP and using some sort of wireless access kit (Like the one I linked to). What do you think he's trying to do?

My Amateur Radio Forum

i don't want to hi jack this thread, but i'm pondering a simular problem for a current job, so discussing it might help the o/p question and me.

scenario

block of 10 flats on 3 levels, has a central riser, kit is a SYSQ 365 DVR.

i can't run cable inside the flats due to decor problems.

question - can i attach say three Wifi access points (1 per floor) into a switch, and then hook the switch into the DVR RJ45 port?

i can easily cable the access points into the riser, but will this arrangement let the flats access the dvr from their pc via wireless link (assuming range is ok)?

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

What do you think he's trying to do?

What he said.

i.e. use one of these new USB dongles that talk to the internet via GSM/3G mobile phone network to access a DVR remotely.

You've not been reading your Vodafone ads have you? :P

And yes, I think it's bonkers. :smash:

Archived