Security Installer Community

A Question.... Would This Work?

helimatt

I would imagine that the problem is not so much finding a workable solution, but rather finding the solution that's most practical and affordable.

To some degree, it would depend on what is actually required operationally, that needs to be considered before looking at all the available technology. As a silly example, if live monitoring were simply required rather than accessing all aspects of a DVR's inner functionality, it may be easier to transmit a signal out to a suitable location, where the net access part can then be engineered in a hopefully more controlled and appropriate environment.

I've certainly come across a number of situations recently where customised hybrid use of both analogue and digital technologies, can be easily applied to solve a particular set of operational requirements; mind you, it rarely goes down well with the IT bods :lol:

For what it's worth, you've just never lived until you've set up a surveillance system in the middle of a field ;)

Ok guys, I'm not contractually obliged to disclose the application. BUT heres a scenario.

I live on a farm. Loadsa land. 3 fields away, I am constantly getting problems with fly tippers dumping all sorts of **** on my land. Its always at a certain time on a certain day. I want to be able to setup a camera there at this particular time and view the images from back at home. Radio, microwave, cabling, big lens - or any other humerous suggestions etc are not an option. A friend of mine has a similar problem and he has managed to get a piece of kit that allows him to do this over the internet - HOW DO YOU THINK HE HAS DONE THIS?..........

Not wishing to offend, but if your friend as already got a solution...why not ask him what and how?

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional

The scenario was an example, therefore the "friend" does not exist. Guys, thanks for all your help. I think we should kill the thread here as mine is somewhat of an unusual request. I think the best thing mentioned so far is that mobile laptop internet is not true TCPIP.

Thanks again. Matt

Guest anguscanplay
The scenario was an example, therefore the "friend" does not exist. Guys, thanks for all your help. I think we should kill the thread here as mine is somewhat of an unusual request. I think the best thing mentioned so far is that mobile laptop internet is not true TCPIP.

Thanks again. Matt

so its not a camera and its not in the middle of a field on a farm you dont own and its not to catch punctual fly tippers ?

no wonder you couldnt get it to work LOL

come on guys, give him a break - whats with the witch hunt?

what he wants it for is his affair as long as it's legal surely? we had a message about behavior in the public section did we not?

not going to be a cheap solution fo the requirement, so i think if i had this o/p's problem to solve of remote viewing, for whatever reason - fly tipping, vandalism or watching horses in a remote field, i'd have BT fit a line to a local tree (behave guys :rolleyes: ), get adsl attached and us a ready made camera with a web browser built in like sold by novatec amongst others.

ok you've still got to power the camera (which might work on batteries charged by solar power cells?), and any lighting which could be lv leds off a large set of batteries, but it would reduce the power requirements as the dvr would not be at the location.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

come on guys, give him a break - whats with the witch hunt?

what he wants it for is his affair as long as it's legal surely? we had a message about behavior in the public section did we not?

not going to be a cheap solution fo the requirement, so i think if i had this o/p's problem to solve of remote viewing, for whatever reason - fly tipping, vandalism or watching horses in a remote field, i'd have BT fit a line to a local tree (behave guys :rolleyes: ), get adsl attached and us a ready made camera with a web browser built in like sold by novatec amongst others.

ok you've still got to power the camera (which might work on batteries charged by solar power cells?), and any lighting which could be lv leds off a large set of batteries, but it would reduce the power requirements as the dvr would not be at the location.

regs

alan

Hang on Arfur, thats an unfair call.

Nobody was hard on the guy, in fact, given the vagueness, people were quite helpful.

Only later does it transpire all, or at least most, of the details were infact fictitious.

Many would see this as a p*ss take. What we certainly don't need is a slap on the legs for trying to be helpful. :no:

Guest anguscanplay
Hang on Arfur, thats an unfair call.

Nobody was hard on the guy, in fact, given the vagueness, people were quite helpful.

Only later does it transpire all, or at least most, of the details were infact fictitious.

Many would see this as a p*ss take. What we certainly don't need is a slap on the legs for trying to be helpful. :no:

not from Arf " you need an engineer......" Mo - you not been yourself lately old chap ?

not from Arf " you need an engineer......" Mo - you not been yourself lately old chap ?

i'll just have to change over hands again then :unsure: and when i was feeling like a new person :rolleyes:

the o/p imo is being vague in order (i'd assume) not to give away either the job details or the site location as either a respect of confidence to his client, or understandably to protect his own commercial interests. lets face it, we are not the only 'sado' people who read these posts.

so lets just accept he can't divulge the true scenario, and so has done his best to conjure up a comparison situation in order to explain what he needs.

had i not posted as and when i did, i could for see from experience this thread would rapidly be going downhill and worse turning into a slanging match. another disgruntled member to the tally as others jumped on the bandwagon.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

i'll just have to change over hands again then :unsure: and when i was feeling like a new person :rolleyes:

the o/p imo is being vague in order (i'd assume) not to give away either the job details or the site location as either a respect of confidence to his client, or understandably to protect his own commercial interests. lets face it, we are not the only 'sado' people who read these posts.

so lets just accept he can't divulge the true scenario, and so has done his best to conjure up a comparison situation in order to explain what he needs.

had i not posted as and when i did, i could for see from experience this thread would rapidly be going downhill and worse turning into a slanging match. another disgruntled member to the tally as others jumped on the bandwagon.

regs

alan

Complete nonsense!

The post was a wind up. Everytime questions were asked the problem changed. This was definitely not to hide the job.

Give us all some credit Arfur.

Archived