Security Installer Community

A Question.... Would This Work?

helimatt

i don't want to hi jack this thread, but i'm pondering a simular problem for a current job, so discussing it might help the o/p question and me.

scenario

block of 10 flats on 3 levels, has a central riser, kit is a SYSQ 365 DVR.

i can't run cable inside the flats due to decor problems.

question - can i attach say three Wifi access points (1 per floor) into a switch, and then hook the switch into the DVR RJ45 port?

i can easily cable the access points into the riser, but will this arrangement let the flats access the dvr from their pc via wireless link (assuming range is ok)?

regs

alan

Be interesting if you could do it Alan?

See if Q will help you...... :P

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

I thought he wanted a DVR to work wirelesly using a dongle on USB, most DVR's have a RJ45 network connector not a USB for networking.

As I understand it he wants a DVR wirelesly on the internet, to do that he needs it to be within range of a WAP and using some sort of wireless access kit (Like the one I linked to). What do you think he's trying to do?

He wants to put the DVR in the middle of a field and access the images over t'internet.

So where is the network??

And more specifically, where is the power coming from??? he says battery, but that would be some battery.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional

Guys,

Ok - I have a network DVR here at home... I got my ISP to provide me with a static IP address. I connected my DVR to my router fiddleds around with the usual DMZ and firewall setting and hey-presto, I can now access the DVR from anywhere via the net...

So.... I can stick a wireless internet connection card in my laptop right? Not LAN wireless - but true wireless - GPRS, 3G woteva. If this has a static address, how does this differ from my home DVR setup??

My laptop then becomes part if the world wide web infrastructure - so ias long as it is contactable via a static address, what would stop me from logging into the DVR software it runs???

i don't want to hi jack this thread, but i'm pondering a simular problem for a current job, so discussing it might help the o/p question and me.

scenario

block of 10 flats on 3 levels, has a central riser, kit is a SYSQ 365 DVR.

i can't run cable inside the flats due to decor problems.

question - can i attach say three Wifi access points (1 per floor) into a switch, and then hook the switch into the DVR RJ45 port?

i can easily cable the access points into the riser, but will this arrangement let the flats access the dvr from their pc via wireless link (assuming range is ok)?

regs

alan

Sounds like pretty standard networking to me, so with the right outfit doing it, why not? :)

Guys,

Ok - I have a network DVR here at home... I got my ISP to provide me with a static IP address. I connected my DVR to my router fiddleds around with the usual DMZ and firewall setting and hey-presto, I can now access the DVR from anywhere via the net...

So.... I can stick a wireless internet connection card in my laptop right? Not LAN wireless - but true wireless - GPRS, 3G woteva. If this has a static address, how does this differ from my home DVR setup??

My laptop then becomes part if the world wide web infrastructure - so ias long as it is contactable via a static address, what would stop me from logging into the DVR software it runs???

Doesn't even need a static IP as has been discussed many times before - e.g. use DDNS.

And you'd need the laptop to have some routing or remote control capability.

But I still think it's crazy. :rolleyes:

Still not clear what you mean

Static IP.

Is this on your ADSL/Broadband fixed line at home/office??

Wireless card won't work in true TCP/IP mode. In fact, i fail to see how it will work at all by simply plugginhg it into DVR

Still doubting the power/battery set up.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional

Guys,

Ok you want TCPIP over an-other wireless connection, yes you can, to get the bandwidth required we are talking microwave, to get wide band microwave in a remote location, ahmm, expensive! How much cash do you want to throw at this? The new 3G phones are not really working with enough bandwidth to run video well yet so that gives you some idea of the problem....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

Ok guys, I'm not contractually obliged to disclose the application. BUT heres a scenario.

I live on a farm. Loadsa land. 3 fields away, I am constantly getting problems with fly tippers dumping all sorts of **** on my land. Its always at a certain time on a certain day. I want to be able to setup a camera there at this particular time and view the images from back at home. Radio, microwave, cabling, big lens - or any other humerous suggestions etc are not an option. A friend of mine has a similar problem and he has managed to get a piece of kit that allows him to do this over the internet - HOW DO YOU THINK HE HAS DONE THIS?..........

Archived