Security Installer Community

Running Alarm Cables

ricool

We've had this discussion on here before, how a piece of 3mm plastic is supposed to stop inducement I'll never know, but rules are rules. Ideally best off staying well away from mains but I don't think most customers would like two pieces of trunking 100mm apart like a pair of train tracks.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

you as i know, very strict sparks will not allow low voltage in with mains cables in the same 18" 'channel' between joists when running through lofts or floors even if our cables are on opposite sides of that channel, yet we all happily bomb up a metal tray containment in close proximity when in risers :rolleyes: .

regs

alan

Hmmm.

Not really a case of sparks not allowing data to be mixed with mains Alan, it's the Regs that dictate it.

Also, Mains is low voltage.

ELV, data, signal is not allowed in the same run as LV, hence the physical seperation.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional

We've had this discussion on here before, how a piece of 3mm plastic is supposed to stop inducement I'll never know, but rules are rules.

Yes, it's quite a laugh isn't it if you have any knowledge whatsoever of basic physics. :rolleyes:

I don't do it now, but when I was in corporate IT did a lot of office fit-out planning. We used to go to great lengths to route the various "electrical" services differently to keep them as separate as possible and even to minimise crossing. It was always a battle to persuade the various installers to stick to the carefully thought-out plan though. :whistle:

PS For those of you who like a laugh and a snigger I was also usually "responsible" for the telecoms and alarm systems too.

Guest anguscanplay
We've had this discussion on here before, how a piece of 3mm plastic is supposed to stop inducement .......

it`s not - it`s to stop you cutting through both sets of cables and introducing 240v ac onto the unrated cable

it`s not - it`s to stop you cutting through both sets of cables and introducing 240v ac onto the unrated cable

Now that makes more sense...

And by the way I think it was induction, not inducement as my dictionary says:

Inducement. 1. Something that helps bring about an action or a desired result.

I think we're in the realm of undesired results here..... :whistle:

Now that makes more sense...

And by the way I think it was induction, not inducement as my dictionary says:

Inducement. 1. Something that helps bring about an action or a desired result.

I think we're in the realm of undesired results here..... :whistle:

While were being picky ,for all those who did not pick up on it 15 cm is not 1500 mm ,its 6 inches.I knew being a joiner would come in handy lol.

Anyway i cant understand why this thread is going on so long when i answered the o/p question correctly,its just serving to confuse him.

He said that the light switch cable was 6 inches away from his alarm cables,end of.

While were being picky ,for all those who did not pick up on it 15 cm is not 1500 mm ,its 6 inches.I knew being a joiner would come in handy lol.

Anyway i cant understand why this thread is going on so long when i answered the o/p question correctly,its just serving to confuse him.

He said that the light switch cable was 6 inches away from his alarm cables,end of.

Nothing to pick up on, we all know a typo when we see one. The same applies to poor grammar. :whistle:

Nothing to pick up on, we all know a typo when we see one. The same applies to poor grammar. :whistle:

Well said. If we picked up on spelling & grammar we'd leave no space for anything else. :lol:

And I also think that most of us can tell the difference between a light-hearted comment and unwarranted criticism. :ninja:

Are you sure?

If ELV and LV must be seperated, how can they be allowed to run together for less than a metre?

Archived