Security Installer Community

Running Alarm Cables

ricool

while some have been having fun it is getting terribly piccy,

in real life that switch cable is not ever going to be a problem, unless it feeds a fridge, washing machine on the way or he gets in a direct contact with,

regs

alan

We all probably agree with the sentiment Alan but the issue is, it may be the cause of a problem. hence compliance with the regs.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional

We all probably agree with the sentiment Alan but the issue is, it may be the cause of a problem. hence compliance with the regs.

maybe, but being a diy job i doubt it will go any further, it's al intrunking apparently so at least that issue should be covered.

there are i'd bet just millions of alarms that won't comply where the panels are in the same cupboard as the electric meter, and so cables will run closer to mains than regs allow, and usually with the one that feeds the spur :rolleyes: .

while on service i lost count how many times the install engineer picked up the mains from the cupboard light and from the switched side, door gets shut light go's off standby runs down, client opens cupboard to attend to alarm, light comes on restores power and so the cycle could go on.

on one job the previous dick of a service engineer blamed the fish swimming in the fish tank setting of the pir, now i can't tell the client the engineer was such a total no brain twerp, as he would complain and we all have to work together which means covering each others backs, so i replied "he is a little bit mistaken as fish are actually cold blooded and pir's work on movement of heat" which he fortunately swallowed and thought i was a really scientific guy :rolleyes: . so he go's off to make the tea and i swapped the wire over blaming the 'faulty' battery.

how i kept a straight face i'll never know, but i do know i'll never get to heaven :whistle:

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Guest anguscanplay
You are right how is a lump of plastic going to stop inducement??

it isnt / doesnt, its there to prevent introduction of 240v ac onto the unrated cable ( thats why it`s ok to run fire alarm stuff in the mains trays)

quick question - is the O/P`s panel plastic?

it isnt / doesnt, its there to prevent introduction of 240v ac onto the unrated cable ( thats why it`s ok to run fire alarm stuff in the mains trays)

I should imagine it is Angus if its for a domestic property ,very few panels are metal designed for domestics...Anyhow i think the o/p has done one.

my understanding is.

trunking is to support the cable in a tidy secure fashion and eases installing multiple cables, while also helping prevent mechanical damage.

capping is to help the plasterer stick his plaster on the wall without the cable causing any adhesion problems (or him being strangled by it with any such luck), as well as to stop his trow (which become razor sharp in use) from cutting or chaffing through them.

plastic might slightly reduce the range of any interference/RFi from nearby mains cables, but won't stop it completely and certainly will not have much effect on stopping fire spreading between the cables either (unless Lo Smoke ect type).

regs

alan

blimey, i've caused a stir, i've been reading with interest, was working on the system last night stripping out the old cables that we're run badly through holes along with mains.

I will now run all new cables apart from to the keypad, I have four possible cables to use, the guy did such a shoddy job installing, he had me confused last night, he'd run two cables around behind the architrave in the lounge and two across the bedroom floor void - all to the same location! - madness.

I will maybe post some pictures to make the cable runs clearer to you.

The panel is metal - premier 48.

Thanks,

blimey, i've caused a stir, i've been reading with interest, was working on the system last night stripping out the old cables that we're run badly through holes along with mains.

I will now run all new cables apart from to the keypad, I have four possible cables to use, the guy did such a shoddy job installing, he had me confused last night, he'd run two cables around behind the architrave in the lounge and two across the bedroom floor void - all to the same location! - madness.

I will maybe post some pictures to make the cable runs clearer to you.

The panel is metal - premier 48.

Thanks,

might well be, or one set has been added to at a later date most likeley.

ones behind the architrave original perhaps, ones across the floor added later due to expansion or a cable fault.

you've found out why its often cheaper as quicker to disregard whats there and start from scratch, time spent sussing out an unknowns work can just be a lose maker, but it's always hard to explain that.

regs

alan

Archived