Security Installer Community

Cctv For Home

davetherave69

That i will say angus, is a very short sited view.why wont p.c plum call round and ALSO if it is a know person why wont p.c plum go and have a chat.??????

Yes, by all means get cctv. It may well deter the local chancer, but probably not the organised thief.

Officer dibble may well have a look at the piccies if required, he may also go have a chat with suspected scallies. But up here, Dibble is about as much use as a chocolate pleaser with this sort of scenario.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional

contary to what Mr Cheap thinks above no I don`t consider it a waste of time and money if it helps you to sleep at night, but just be realisic what your end result will achieve - aint no way PC Plum is going to call round and nick somebody then take em to court and get em jailed on the strength of your " CCTV " system, sure they will tell you to go ahead too , it all helps em when they are investigating but cctv doesnt have a deterent or a proactive value

me ? I decided to go to disneyworld for a month next year instead

lol, you are not cheap if you get the same equipment cheaper, that is known as common sense. ;)

when you get your equipment quotes i imagion the sales guys using the saying 'catch a weasel asleep, p*** in its ear'

works ?

like I said to the O/P if it helps you sleep then it`s worth it - beer has the same effect

How did we go from detterent to crime solving

Even your own common sense would say that a chancer sees a camera and he might think twice and stroll on by,nothing will stop a professional thief(if there is such a thing???) but then you being in the industry for 20 years you would have already known this,wouldnt you???

And for the record i am not sarcastic just realistic

Also yes i think cctv would be a good idea

Guest anguscanplay
How did we go from detterent to crime solving

Even your own common sense would say that a chancer sees a camera and he might think twice and stroll on by,nothing will stop a professional thief(if there is such a thing???) but then you being in the industry for 20 years you would have already known this,wouldnt you???

And for the record i am not sarcastic just realistic

Also yes i think cctv would be a good idea

sarcasm over the police quote

what I said originaly was " how will a camera protect ? ...." its isnt pro active, it doesnt detect and it doesnt deter

you watch sky tv ? street crime ? cops on the block ? more than enough footage of real life crime caught on camera

all i was saying to the O/P is if you want cameras then good on you but be realistic about the end result

:rolleyes: angus you have done it again, started the debate that is.......... as you can see there are pro's and con's to using cctv......both sides making good valid points...... it is a good visual deterrent, but not to someone whom it having a go at you personally, they will just cover up, but it will tell you they are there, if you are lying in wait.......always call the police first. then back up is on the way........then use your baseball skills to hit a home run :whistle: , or your vast knowledge of karate to defend yourself. :banned: or do what i would, nip out introduce yourself and invite them in for a cup of tea... :rolleyes: they then think you are totally mad and run away never to be seen again......... ps do it quietly, talk loudly and watch their face light up......................then when you know who they are. everytime you see them feel free to shout across at them, damaged anybodies car recently, lads :whistle:

i am not making light of this situation.. just making you aware of what some people have done, to my knowledge in a humereous way....... i once waited 8 night to catch a car radio theif. got him after a 1/4 mile chase. pinned him to the ground and waited for the police to arrive, here tell he did not take up, my offer of the cup of tea.......now when he see me in the street he walk the other way, (even after ten years) i still wave :whistle:

Kevin Scott. Owner of KK Alarms...... Installation .. Service .. Repair ...... Thoughout.. Northumberland and North Tyneside ..... Tel:01670 361948 (call diverted after 15 seconds) or 07947444114

it is a good visual deterrent, but not to someone whom it having a go at you personally

This seems to go to the heart of the issue, as referenced by several experts, i.e. what exactly are you protecting against and trying to achieve. The answers would appear to vary quite a lot as a result.

Maybe Dave the OP could explain a bit more what he perceives the risk is and what he expects his CCTV to do if something does happen.

At one extreme, i.e. deterrent, just some warning signs alone might even do the job. Like those speed camera signs with no camera nearby.... :whistle:

Guest anguscanplay
it is a good visual deterrent, but not to ............

about sums it up IMO - they arn`t proactive, better spending the money on a good set of outside sensors and lights ( GJD maybe? ) rather than rely on them preventing an incident - but when has a 500w flood ever impressed the neighbours?

I think it`s better to be upfront with the O/P and explain from the off the limitations of domestic CCTV rather than give him false impressions of what he will be able to achieve. This has nothing to do with personal prejudices ( we make quite a tidy sum from CCTV - when its specced and used in the proper enviroment )

what i'm against is the cryptic replies to a simply put question by the o/p, no way has the o/p thought it all through because he can't, he don't know as much as we do, but he decided to start somewhere, and to his credit came to an experts forum for proper advice instead of the likes of srewfix.com forums.

contrary to what Mr Cheap thinks above no I don`t consider it a waste of time and money if it helps you to sleep at night, but just be realisic what your end result will achieve - aint no way PC Plum is going to call round and nick somebody then take em to court and get em jailed on the strength of your " CCTV " system, sure they will tell you to go ahead too , it all helps em when they are investigating but cctv doesnt have a deterent or a proactive value

me ? I decided to go to disneyworld for a month next year instead

the last line about disneyworld, remember please written from a pro read by a novice so easily gives the impression he is totally wasting his money on cctv in your view, if camera's were so useless a deterrent (which is proactive by default) then we would not be the most observed nation on this planet.

underlined bits are not helpful, the bold bits contradict each other, might be amusing to fellow us pro's maybe, this is not really vaudeville but helping someone understand over what is a very serious issue to him about his car's security being the second most expensive item most people buy.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

about sums it up IMO - they arn`t proactive, better spending the money on a good set of outside sensors and lights ( GJD maybe? ) rather than rely on them preventing an incident - but when has a 500w flood ever impressed the neighbours?

so no lights would deter better then? no camera's would deter better then? :no:

it's not the decent neighbours who take note or even care in most cases, but the slimy vandalising car scratching ones who are not so sure if there is a mr/mrs interference officer living next door, and who will look out of his/her window and so will see and identify the scum to the police. the scum will happily carry out there activities where there is no lights or camera's, but less likely if they are risking being seen - thats proactive deterrents.

same idea used with gatso speed camera's, most don't have film yet everyone slams on the anchors when passing one (but why do they pass them at 20mph on a 50 mph road? :wacko: ).

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Guest anguscanplay

Two things arfur

1 you seem to have slipped back into moderator mode - I`m sarcastic " it`s the lowest form of wit ( but invariably the funniest) but I use these same comments daily with customers and friends, I`m a very big fish in a small pond, my techniques work - dont question them

2 your also not bothering to read the full posts again, I will re do it for the O/P

be careful what you are expecting from CCTV, it`s the 20th century version of the emperors new clothes, the results you get will not be what you expected, I`m not saying DONT have cctv ( indeed I have it myself ) but also dont rely on it in isolation, your better off having an outside lighting system which buzzes in the house to tell you someone is on your property ( example whilst your sat reading this will your cctv let you know someone is looking through your rear window ? - answer is no, thats what I mean by cctv isnt proactive)

so now when you say " I want cctv " what you actually want is an external detection system with remote recording - and arfur that makes more profit for us too - no ?

Archived