Security Installer Community

Cctv For Home

davetherave69

Hi I would like to install a cctv cam on the front of my house to protect my cars I was thinking of install the one I have found bellow.

Just onederd if it was any good or any thing else you might think of I dont want anything to large on the property any help woul be great.

Its sold on a website by electrical wholsalers http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TSIRCAM500.html

Day Night Camera 25mtr with Varifocal Lens - IP65 IRCAM-500

Requires Power Supply

ES PSIL

Day Night Camera with Varifocal Lens

25mtr Range - IP65

IRCAM's offer the best of both worlds!

Vibrant colour during daylight hours and crisp mono with infra red illumination at night.

Ready to use outside with no extra items due to their waterproof vandal resistant construction.

The IRCAMs are ideal for use with ESP digital video recorders (DRV4 and DRV-EZ)

however their design ensures compatibility with virtually all new or existing CCTV systems.

Colour in the day / black and white with infra red at night

Waterproof / vandal resistant construction

Complete with lens and bracket

High quality Sony Super HAD image sensor

500mA Max current drain

Standard BNC connection

Waterproof IP65

Vandal resistant construction

Integral Infra-Red illumination

Flexible mounting o

Guest anguscanplay
Hi I would like to install a cctv cam on the front of my house to protect my cars

that phrase always rings bells in my head ( pun intented ) - but how are you expecting it to protect your cars ?

that phrase always rings bells in my head ( pun intented ) - but how are you expecting it to protect your cars ?

hopfully i will catch any intruders doing any damage or if any one is coming on to my property when away from home i will also be getting a hard drive to record on to do you think it would be a wast of time and money fitting cctv to my home.

Here comes mr i hate CCTV :rolleyes: , i think he may have been thinking it will put ppl off and pick up petty vandalism.Which a camera will often do, best simple solution and has worked a treat on my own dads house.
hopfully i will catch any intruders doing any damage or if any one is coming on to my property when away from home i will also be getting a hard drive to record on to do you think it would be a wast of time and money fitting cctv to my home.
not at all, its a very good idea and the best simple solution available to most.

go with a standalone DVR though

Guest anguscanplay

contary to what Mr Cheap thinks above no I don`t consider it a waste of time and money if it helps you to sleep at night, but just be realisic what your end result will achieve - aint no way PC Plum is going to call round and nick somebody then take em to court and get em jailed on the strength of your " CCTV " system, sure they will tell you to go ahead too , it all helps em when they are investigating but cctv doesnt have a deterent or a proactive value

me ? I decided to go to disneyworld for a month next year instead

contary to what Mr Cheap thinks above no I don`t consider it a waste of time and money if it helps you to sleep at night, but just be realisic what your end result will achieve - aint no way PC Plum is going to call round and nick somebody then take em to court and get em jailed on the strength of your " CCTV " system, sure they will tell you to go ahead too , it all helps em when they are investigating but cctv doesnt have a deterent or a proactive value

me ? I decided to go to disneyworld for a month next year instead

That i will say angus, is a very short sited view.why wont p.c plum call round and ALSO if it is a know person why wont p.c plum go and have a chat.??????

And also i dont have the figures to hand but i am sure some where on the web there are figures to blow your 'cctv doesnt have any detterent value theroy' right out of the water

Take surrey plod they have cleared up all serious crime like the above to the point they can spare 3 x cars,6 x plod oh and a helicopter to the cost of

Guest anguscanplay
That i will say angus, is a very short sited view. no it`s the benefit of 20plus years in the alarm game why wont p.c plum call round and ALSO if it is a know person why wont p.c plum go and have a chat.?????? er cause unless the image is within 1.9 to 2.5 mtrs of the camera then it`s out of focus for the standard 3.6mm lens and to identify even a known person they would have to fill 80% of the screen which can only be achieved at 1.6mtrs with the same standard lens - you see how hard it is to focus on now

And also i dont have the figures to hand but i am sure some where on the web there are figures to blow your 'cctv doesnt have any detterent value theroy' right out of the water see I do have resources about figures etc to hand

Take surrey plod they have cleared up all serious crime like the above to the point they can spare 3 x cars,6 x plod oh and a helicopter to the cost of

i think it better to advise the o/p of the things he needs to consider rather than air personal prejudices

like make sure the view of the camera/s will actually catch the person doing the damage face and all, no good proving a person went onto the property and also left at a certain time if it don't capture the illegal act, bit difficult though if they wear a hoody.

having captured your image you then have to be able to make 2 usable copies to Cdr and it should be 'watermarked' or will be not be very useful as evidence should a prosecution result.

camera's with built-in leds often suffer from spider webs being cast over them, the little blighter's just love a nice warm bottom on a chilly night provided by the led's, nett result dusk falls ir's illuminate and all you see is the backside of the spider in close up but in fabulous detail it has to be said - nice!

so i'd advise a camera which is not fitted with led's, have automatic flood lights installed instead, the lights will help deter thieves after dark, and are very convenient for all the households increased safety at night, if you pay a little more they come with a chime function to warn of activity within the range.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Guest anguscanplay
i think it better to advise the o/p of the things he needs to consider rather than air personal prejudices

regs

alan

I think it`s better to be upfront with the O/P and explain from the off the limitations of domestic CCTV rather than give him false impressions of what he will be able to achieve. This has nothing to do with personal prejudices ( we make quite a tidy sum from CCTV - when its specced and used in the proper enviroment )

Archived