Security Installer Community

Monitoring Service For Diy Alarms

amateurandy

Hello folks,

Absolutely NOT something I'm going to buy but an intriguing leaflet arrived at home today.

Better not say who from, though some of you can probably work it out.

It's offering a wire-free alarm with communicator for 20% less than you can supposedly buy it in a big DIY chain store with 12 months "free" monitoring included.

Monitoring means they phone the property, make a decision based on the response and potentially contact up to 6 nominated people (by phone, text or email).

Monitoring renewal is about

Hello folks,

Absolutely NOT something I'm going to buy but an intriguing leaflet arrived at home today.

Better not say who from, though some of you can probably work it out.

It's offering a wire-free alarm with communicator for 20% less than you can supposedly buy it in a big DIY chain store with 12 months "free" monitoring included.

Monitoring means they phone the property, make a decision based on the response and potentially contact up to 6 nominated people (by phone, text or email).

Monitoring renewal is about

Guest anguscanplay

shop around Andy and you`ll get the kit and install for free - shame you spent so long doing that door contact - could have had wireless LOL

My first reaction was that it might be attractive to give people some reassurance, then I started thinking about DIY, wireless, false-alarms, response times, charges for visits etc. and it all began to appear rather pointless.

Like it or not - this is the way things are heading. It's my view that automated monitoring numbers will surpass conventional operator based monitoring within the next 5 years. BT would not be pumping cash into Intermac if they did not think the same.

When time permits, I will be launching a similar service in the UK, but direct to installers instead of DIY. I have one server up already and I am installing a second one on Wednesday this week.

Free Alarm Monitoring over the Internet from IP Alarms

The 'conventional operator based monitoring' will come more & more into play over the coming years as the emergency services rely more on filtering of false alarms by ARCs.

'J

Absolutely. There will always be a place for conventional monitoring, its just that the costs are too restrictive for the majority of the domestic market - which is where the big potential is. Once we can take full advantage of the internet to tap into that market, I think the numbers will grow very rapidly.

Free Alarm Monitoring over the Internet from IP Alarms

Absolutely. There will always be a place for conventional monitoring, its just that the costs are too restrictive for the majority of the domestic market - which is where the big potential is. Once we can take full advantage of the internet to tap into that market, I think the numbers will grow very rapidly.

hi VM,

i had a conversation last week about monitoring over ip for alarms, (this was with a supplier rep) obviously becomming more attractive as mor ehome get internet connection.

the response was that monitoring stations are resisting this because there is less income (being free) from premium numbers as used by many for digicom monitoring.

i wondered what is your 'take' on this? is there a niche for monitoring companies to set up as ip and get the monthly fee's on this to? afgter all with a landline you can swap your provider at a blink of an eye from BT to tiscali and so on.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Guest anguscanplay
hi VM,

i had a conversation last week about monitoring over ip for alarms,

companies to set up as ip and get the monthly fee's on this to? afgter all with a landline you can swap your provider at a blink of an eye from BT to tiscali and so on.

regs

alan

ROFL

Like it or not - this is the way things are heading. It's my view that automated monitoring numbers will surpass conventional operator based monitoring within the next 5 years. BT would not be pumping cash into Intermac if they did not think the same.

When time permits, I will be launching a similar service in the UK, but direct to installers instead of DIY. I have one server up already and I am installing a second one on Wednesday this week.

Hi VM.

what will constitute an installer as oppossed to a DIY installer?

cheers mate.

Archived