Security Installer Community

Diy Forum?

Fixer

Can I just ask what the DIY section is actually for because after reading the posts for the last few days I

I fly gassed up

The DIY Forum is a place for our Trade members to offer basic guidance, and for other DIY'ers to contribute as they see fit.

We can't offer detailed engineering information for many obvious (and a few non-obvious) reasons.

Most engineers will offer basic wiring suggestions and offer guidence as they see fit but no defaulting or detailed programming information should ever be given.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

If you have a DIY product then you will if you ask get assistance. In order to understand and be able to implement the assistance you need to be in possession of the alarm manuals (user & Engineer) and the appropriate codes, if you don't have them or know how to obtain them, you will be advised to seek out the services of an engineer.

It should also be noted that if a system is a diy product the manufacturer will have some form of support on offer, however in the first instance the first line of call should be the supplier of the equipment.

Most faults with DIY systems are down to poor installation or neglect, just because a system is not set daily it is still doing something and accordingly will need to attention as recommended by the manufacturer.

The DIY Forum is a place for our Trade members to offer basic guidance, and for other DIY'ers to contribute as they see fit.

We can't offer detailed engineering information for many obvious (and a few non-obvious) reasons.

Most engineers will offer basic wiring suggestions and offer guidence as they see fit but no defaulting or detailed programming information should ever be given.

Thanks for your input but I do think most people that set out to install there own DIY alarm will be able to follow the basic wiring instructions and will only come unstuck when it comes to the lack of programming instructions these systems come with like in my case and will only face disappointment when they find this site.

I fly gassed up

If you have a DIY product then you will if you ask get assistance. In order to understand and be able to implement the assistance you need to be in possession of the alarm manuals (user & Engineer) and the appropriate codes, if you don't have them or know how to obtain them, you will be advised to seek out the services of an engineer.

It should also be noted that if a system is a diy product the manufacturer will have some form of support on offer, however in the first instance the first line of call should be the supplier of the equipment.

Most faults with DIY systems are down to poor installation or neglect, just because a system is not set daily it is still doing something and accordingly will need to attention as recommended by the manufacturer.

Well I didn

I fly gassed up

please also note, we volunteer our expertise, time and knowledge, and some may argue by doing so we are doing ourselves out of work. with respect to Dave we agree to stay within his rules and guidelines, and apart from that we live in a 'who do we blame when thing go wronge culture' so by giving information we do in fact stick our neck out.. :rolleyes:

Kevin Scott. Owner of KK Alarms...... Installation .. Service .. Repair ...... Thoughout.. Northumberland and North Tyneside ..... Tel:01670 361948 (call diverted after 15 seconds) or 07947444114

I do think most people that set out to install there own DIY alarm will be able to follow the basic wiring instructions and will only come unstuck when it comes to the lack of programming instructions these systems come with like in my case and will only face disappointment when they find this site.

In this site's early days all manuals were available to anyone, and there was no restriction on the advice a member could give. But it wasn't long before several manufacturers found this site, took a dislike to the ammount of information available and threatened legal action... Sadly i'm in no position to afford that sort of expense, so the manuals were hidden and guidelines agreed with members that no defaulting or complex programming information be given.

A Member may help out via the PM system if they so wish and i'm sure that a few do, but surely you can see that certain information just should not be on public display.

but they are actually breaking the Law by withholding the engineers manual
I can't see how they would be breaking the law..?

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

Guest Dave the alarm man
but they are actually breaking the Law by withholding the engineers manual and when you point this out to them it sure helps and I now have one.

tommy rot................... ring up the manufacturer of your car & ask for all the book's the main agent has

In this site's early days all manuals were available to anyone, and there was no restriction on the advice a member could give. But it wasn't long before several manufacturers found this site, took a dislike to the ammount of information available and threatened legal action... Sadly i'm in no position to afford that sort of expense, so the manuals were hidden and guidelines agreed with members that no defaulting or complex programming information be given.

A Member may help out via the PM system if they so wish and i'm sure that a few do, but surely you can see that certain information just should not be on public display.

I can't see how they would be breaking the law..?

Thanks for that explanation, now you have made it clear why and how you run the DIY forum it makes good sense why you only give out limited information

Many thanks.

I fly gassed up

Archived