Security Installer Community

Cat 5 For Alarms

Just started 2nd fixing the alarm systems in several homes that have been prewired by the electricians a short time ago. They have wired everything in cat5 cable. Has anyone else used cat 5 for alarms? I can't forsee any problems myself apart from wiring the door contacts due to the plyability of the cable. Just not so sure it cost effective to do so.

Just started 2nd fixing the alarm systems in several homes that have been prewired by the electricians a short time ago. They have wired everything in cat5 cable. Has anyone else used cat 5 for alarms? I can't forsee any problems myself apart from wiring the door contacts due to the plyability of the cable. Just not so sure it cost effective to do so.

It used to be phone cable they liked, it will work but not a good idea.[would fail any approved company takeover]

Yeah, and watch out for snapping when tightening into terminals. :(

Those crazy Sparks you should fit a Veritas R8 and go the hole hog.....

......................consider the flood gates open :P

These jobs arn't in liverpool are they?

Why on earth would you use phone cable or cat5 for alarm systems. :no: Solid core and screw terminals do not like each other very much.

djrock

Usally nice for alarms to be done in alarm cable, however cat5= more expensive- more resistance etc.... but one nice thing is that because of the way cat5 is made and due to the type of cable it is it works very well at reducing rfi on cables and other interference, have a job which has been a problem for over a year now, about to go and re-wire 2 dual tech's in cat5 which I am sure will overcome his problems. As mentioned, due to being solid core it creates it's own problems due to the inflexabality of the cores but I see no real major reason why an approved inspectorate would have a problem with using cat5..... oh hang on..... I forgot..... pen pushers who don't fit alarms just tell everyone to install them on plug tops with 13amp fuses like the rest of europe and all external doors protect will get you a certificate...... ahhh..... now that's why I've nevered bothered to send there forms back and join the club.... before anyone rants every company I've worked for has been approved (even the nationals lol.... can't imagen how!!!!)cheers guys..... let's see who can't take the tounge in cheek :-) Keep fighting the good fight boys

Why on earth would you use phone cable or cat5 for alarm systems. :no: Solid core and screw terminals do not like each other very much.djrock
That's why god made soldering irons lol...... that was ajoke.... no need for everyone to start shouting about screw term and soldering..... I aint thick or ought!!!!

CCTV Intruder Access Control

Tony Hughes, Proprietor,

TRADE MEMBER

Guest anguscanplay
That's why god made soldering irons lol...... that was ajoke.... no need for everyone to start shouting about screw term and soldering..... I aint thick or ought!!!!

to be honest mr maverick i was going to suggest this last night but got ahem " sidetracked" its a trick we do when the sparks have wired it in solid drawn cable like this - bend the ends and a blob of solder gives a good strong platform for the screws ( often I do it on commercial sites on ordinary alarm cable too)

armchair installers hmm

regrds

angus

hi guys,

this is not 'arfur' just being my normal contentious self, so hears hoping for informative/constructive/non-hysterical input here - that will be short lived i expect :rolleyes: .

even as an 'un-registered' i don't use solid core cable, but can't see why it would be such a problem using CAT5e, is there actually regs against it or is it just 'us & them' (them being telecom type engineers) bias?

on the practical side modern alarm systems draw very little current down a cable with exception of sounders and sirens, so resistance is not really an issue, if it was a remote expander and local psu would soon sort it.

one of the big advantages of CAT5e is the way the cable is coiled on 305mtrs, making it far easier on single handed installs, especially where several runs are pulled in together say through a void than drums where the side's fall of for the slightest reason, and then spew all over the van :ranting: .

ok, with CAT5e it is more likely to crack on screw contact terminals but hey, we are all (often very pompously) self acclaimed skilled engineers - aren't we?, skinning the cores when removing the sheath is an easier accident on soft stranded imo because the sheath on CAT5e is a more consistent and perhaps better quality.

if alarms were to move over to idc connectors would that be the bad thing? maybe this kind of contact is not seen as reliable as screw terminal but the worlds telecom and computers run on networks using zillions of them.

as network guys will know, testing CAT5e with a decent analyzer will show up and at which end or in between, bad connections or minor faults, NEXT & FEXT (near & far end cross talk) and many other faults like h/r's on a single strand, where a break is and so on very swiftly and accurately in one operation, tricks which even a good quality (and calibrated) meter simply can't match, so weighing the pro's and con's would it really be so bad?

so your still concerned with quality of connection? try this for size, Molex registered installers obviously using Molex components throughout, can guarantee all sockets and cables for 25 years backed up by Molex thats for parts and labour - can you beat that?

regs

alan (has wicker basket and bucket ready for head and blood :cold2: )

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Guest Dave the alarm man
but can't see why it would be such a problem using CAT5e, is there actually regs against it or is it just 'us & them'

banghead

banghead

banghead

banghead

banghead

banghead

BS 4737 1986

maybe we should only have qualified licensed personnel working in this industry?

banghead

BS 4737 1986

maybe we should only have qualified licensed personnel working in this industry?

said it would be short lived :lol:

like i said i don't use it for alarm systems so never queried it before you plumb :P

that was 1986 then, so no allowance for modern thinking?

just exploring why not and if their is a good sound reason, so do you have any constructive thoughts on that issue?

when i worked for BS Companies it was the norm to use solid strand multi-cores 100 pairs + on the big jobs like Goverment Buildings and the British Museum and that was on Chubbs, so i agree with like you say only qualified installers.......... :fear:

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived