Security Installer Community

Cat 5 For Alarms

that was 1986 then, so no allowance for modern thinking?

The current Cat 5 standards are quite recent ("The TIA/EIA-568-B standards were first published in 2001. They supersede the TIA/EIA-568-A standards set, which are now obsolete") but the ORIGINAL was earlier, though WELL AFTER 1986:

"The first revision of the standard, TIA/EIA-568-A.1 was released in 1991, and was updated in 1995."

So, maybe Arfur has a point? :unsure:

Have worked to the good old bs numbers for years now...... being qualified in many things as the regulars will undoubtly know, but going back to an earlier comment.... aren't we suppose to be using these stupid EN rubbish things now that means we can wire supplies on a plug top with a 13a fuse....... or is the EN thing just another of my BNP bad nightmeres. Being setting my panels to BS even with the EN option being there...... English and proud of it...... would have said British and proud but it doesn't seem to stand for much any more... British..... what's that mean apart from Beef in the supermarket......... aye lad...... there's a rant for you all to continue lol

CCTV Intruder Access Control

Tony Hughes, Proprietor,

TRADE MEMBER

The current Cat 5 standards are quite recent ("The TIA/EIA-568-B standards were first published in 2001. They supersede the TIA/EIA-568-A standards set, which are now obsolete") but the ORIGINAL was earlier, though WELL AFTER 1986:

"The first revision of the standard, TIA/EIA-568-A.1 was released in 1991, and was updated in 1995."

So, maybe Arfur has a point? :unsure:

straying off topic a tad here, but when i bought my Psber analyser, the guy at the company who sold it me, said he was actually the person responsible for the introduction of 568B standards, said the 'A' was the original american one and the 'B' was british version (i thought till know just regarding the colour codes).

can't prove what he said or he said it, but had no reason to debate it - till now ;) seems from what you stated it went deeper than that so perhaps he was telling me a few porky's pie's :huh:

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Guest Dave the alarm man
when i worked for BS Companies it was the norm to use solid strand multi-cores 100 pairs + on the big jobs like Goverment Buildings and the British Museum and that was on Chubbs,

I assuming pre 1986?

then thier was the 70's with 7/0.2 in a figure of 8 so you could tack in the centre

anything over 8 core sstarted to die off after that new fangled 9500 came out.....

solid core cable is more prone to breaking if mishandle hence the standard call for stranded

I assuming pre 1986?

then thier was the 70's with 7/0.2 in a figure of 8 so you could tack in the centre

anything over 8 core sstarted to die off after that new fangled 9500 came out.....

solid core cable is more prone to breaking if mishandle hence the standard call for stranded

Hi Dave,

if during installation the cable is severely stresses i agree it would be more likely to fracture, but that being the case networks would also go the stranded route for trunk cables. if you have ever tried it with a lump of cat5e it takes a fair hammering way and above what should happen during a proper install before it gives.

a place it might be an issue is if run along a door frame, the frame not as secure as it should be so movement could cause a problem of cracking. but thats going to be such a rare exception, and using a cable analyzer would be fairly easy to spot.

the stranded if pulled hard is likely to snap 'invisiblty' in the sheath when stretched then spring back enough when the stress is removed, giving a future intermittent break/short possibility.

also i've seen situations where a new carpet was installed then some 12 - 24 months prior, later false alarms occur. eventually they get traced down to the fitter's sharp knives slicing only partway through the cable. the cut being so thin allowed the cable to rejoin enough for the alarm to settle, can be a real beggar to find without a 'crasher' or someone watching the meter for you.

the record for me was 18 such cuts in a house at Highgate when working on Shield protection

personally i feel neither type can be outright winner for every situation, but perhaps when you compare the pro's and con's overall solid fairs pretty well imo (setting our personal preferences aside).

here's a basic test, i have towed another van with several lengths of CAT5e and it did not snap, done the same with 8 core alarm stranded and it snapped :P

regs

alan

Guest Dave the alarm man

to put it simply

stranded is more stable for the purpose of low voltage signal circuit "when less than prefect"

solid cable eg telephone "when less than prefect" the higher voltage can live with "less than prefect" crackle on the line getting worse until sod all :rolleyes:

for the purpose of towing cars I reckon a TUV marked rope or bar is much safer than electric cable,

to put it simply

stranded is more stable for the purpose of low voltage signal circuit "when less than prefect"

solid cable eg telephone "when less than prefect" the higher voltage can live with "less than prefect" crackle on the line getting worse until sod all :rolleyes:

for the purpose of towing cars I reckon a TUV marked rope or bar is much safer than electric cable,

i was once towed home on my BSA C11G motor bike (heavy old 250cc) by anther bike with a side car outfit, no cable or rope available, just 2 pairs of braces, an 'S' belt and a pair of tights.

got from Southend on Sea to Plaistow

happy days

regs

alan

Archived