Security Installer Community

Cable Size

stress3

Guest Dave the alarm man
Surely Not FLEX from a double gang socket to the spur !!
nothing to stop you as far as I can see, flex now being in the coorect colours for fixing wiring?oh with flex your cpc will be the same size ;)

No Chaps all cable is harmonized !

and would i be write in saying that it would be possible to spur from double gang to spur in 1.5mm as long as

cable carrying is not compramised and for example it would be surface clipped !

knowledge is powerful if it is not implemented !

and would i be write in saying that it would be possible to spur from double gang to spur in 1.5mm as long as

i meant from the spur only but this lates post seems to clarify.

Basic rule of thumb:

Match the feed cable size to the cable size of the outlet it is being fed from. [check the outlet is correct first]

the load cable size should be matched off against the size of the fuse.[eg. don't use 0.75mm flex with a 13amp fuse :no:]

**dave don't start going on about length of cable compared to load ect. it is best to stick to this ;)

Hi,

You can't go to a smaller cable from a bigger one without the smaller cable being fused, (the exception is busbars), you should allways match the fuse with the load as long as the cable capacity is not exceeded, regarding using T&E instead of flex to connect to a panel, I have used both in my time and it has never been an issue

Ian

if the cable supplying the double gang is 2.5mm, then the spur ( which is the name given to the wire) to the fused connection unit must also be 2.5mm. then the minimium spur coming from the fused connection unit to the panel connection is 0.75mm. nothing says that this could not also be 2.5mm or 1.5mm or if you can afrford it, 4mm. this is what i understand the regs to be. but as we all know, different people interpret the rule in different ways

Kevin Scott. Owner of KK Alarms...... Installation .. Service .. Repair ...... Thoughout.. Northumberland and North Tyneside ..... Tel:01670 361948 (call diverted after 15 seconds) or 07947444114

if the cable supplying the double gang is 2.5mm, then the spur ( which is the name given to the wire) to the fused connection unit must also be 2.5mm. then the minimium spur coming from the fused connection unit to the panel connection is 0.75mm. nothing says that this could not also be 2.5mm or 1.5mm or if you can afrford it, 4mm. this is what i understand the regs to be. but as we all know, different people interpret the rule in different ways

That is word for word as i was taught at college.

That is word for word as i was taught at college.

I remember when the 15th edition came out there was a guide to the 15th edition that said that you can use a smaller cable than 2.5mm eg 1.5 providing you limited the run to no more than 3 metres, it was mechanically protected eg went through a wall or in trunking etc. It used the above mentioned bus bar example to show that smaller links than the main bus bars were used to feed the individual breakers therefore giving a precedent to the statement. Teachers don't know everything and laws and rules are for muppets. People who know what they are doing don't need them. Inspectors are people who can't do a propper job and are usually power freaks who like to control others with their paper power.

Meanwhile back on topic.... The safest way is to use the same size cable as there is less chance of a loose connection occuring and it keeps the jobs worths happy. ;)

Practice in the morning, practice at night. Practice in the evening, until you get it right.

Only make sure you are practising in the right way at the right time for it.

Thanks to all those whole replied with genuine ! worthy ! educated ! and forwardthinking answers !

Much appreciated !! :rolleyes:

Im a firm believer and educater of if you r not sure ASK ! and respect others difference in opinion !

Just one last thing !

I pay great attention when being educated and was listening ! but when you have lectuers with this under there title

is there argument why others become unsure "NEVER TEACH YOU APPRENTICE EVERYTHING YOU KNOW"

That tells me that one would be slightly affraid of others moving on through or past them and becoming great than

his mentor ! just my opinion.

In relation to "Mates" this abbreviated as mate ! can be found at the following link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mate_(beverage)

When on courses they are associates ! when at work they are work associates ! and then there is clients !

I think this way, because then you never have to do any favours cheap you can treat them as equals, then this

would move you back to equal opportunitys and one of the statements in there is: "Treat those around you as equals"

Thanks everybody !!

Stress3 :P "They Say: Bu**S@it Baffles Brains !!! This why we are all full it !! ;)

Archived