Security Installer Community

Cable Size

stress3

Hello There !

Just wondering if any of you guys could advise me on minimum T&E from an unswitched fuse spur,

as on my C&G course 3 years ago they told us sizes, and then i had one of these i know every thing inspectorates

come round and inform me that my sizes were wrong, i then ask a qualified spark and he told me it was o.k

i searched through IEE wire regs and onsite guide and could not find what he was chatting about. So if any one

could answer this i would very grateful !!!!!

Q. Minimum size T&E from an unswitched fuse spur and were to find in Black & White ?

Thanks Stress3

Guest anguscanplay
Hello There !

Just wondering if any of you guys could advise me on minimum T&E from an unswitched fuse spur,

as on my C&G course 3 years ago they told us sizes, and then i had one of these i know every thing inspectorates

come round and inform me that my sizes were wrong, i then ask a qualified spark and he told me it was o.k

i searched through IEE wire regs and onsite guide and could not find what he was chatting about. So if any one

could answer this i would very grateful !!!!!

Q. Minimum size T&E from an unswitched fuse spur and were to find in Black & White ?

Thanks Stress3

what panel and what size were you using ?

Guest anguscanplay
Hi angus !

It was for a 2amp psu supplying one door controller !

and it was 2.5mm !

assuming it wasnt spurred of anything bigger that would be plenty big enough - cant think where to prove it though , one of the sparks will be along soon ( I know but we have to humour them ) to quote bs , en , iee whatever

I thought it would o.k ! it was only spured from a double outlet socket from a ring main !

when he said wrong size i could only think he was thinking it was 1.5mm !

but then i asked that question to a spark and he said even that would be ok

because the load would not be compramising that integraty of the cable.

So I am a little confused and sometimes i like to see things in writing and hear other

peoples views ! before taking 1 mans opinion !

I once read that Regs were the obedience of blind fools and the guidance of wise Men !

Stress3

Guest Dave the alarm man

1mm2*

Minimum size T&E from an unswitched fuse spur and were to find in Black & White ?

loadings for thermoplastic cables is on the charts in 7671

* in some but not all cases

Guest Dave the alarm man
im 99% sure you have to use flex, T&E wont comply to anything.

well depends on how cable enters enclosure,

flex = compression gland exiting spur thorugh flex outlet

t&e = glanded hole exiting spur through pattress / boack box

TBH most mix & match on this, also you could if you really wanted to, you could install all the fixed wiring in flex just the shower & cooker circuit would be the problem as you can't get flex in that size ;)

Guest anguscanplay
Surely Not FLEX from a double gang socket to the spur !!

T&E from Double gang to spur is what I was pulled up on !

just double check it wasnt 4mm then - if its 2.5mm then all of us would go 2.5mm T+E to spur ( or fcu as they like to call em nowadays ) and then 1mm flex or T+E to the panel - we cant all be wrong

you sure it was the correct colored cable ?

Archived